An officer had approached Brown because he was double-parked in a handicap spot and the interaction quickly escalated. The officer called for backup as the conversation with Brown became tense and a half-dozen squad cars responded.Brown said he thought he and the first responding officer were simply “going to have a dialogue back and forth between two men” and didn’t expect the situation to escalate.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“I don’t see what I could have done different,” said Brown, whose father was a police officer in Maywood, Illinois, where the Bucks guard grew up. He said that before moving to Milwaukee his interactions with police had been for minor things, like traffic tickets.“I’ve encountered polite, rude, everything. But things didn’t escalate in those situations,” he said. Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours At one point after backup arrived, Brown was surrounded by four officers. One of them asked him to take his hands out of his pockets and a scuffle immediately ensued. Within seconds, one officer yelled “Taser! Taser! Taser!” and Brown was on the ground groaning in pain.The video was publicly released Wednesday.Three officers involved in the arrest were disciplined, with suspensions ranging from two to 15 days. Eight others will undergo remedial training in professional communications.Police Chief Alfonso Morales personally apologized to Brown last month when he went to the Bucks’ practice facility to show him the video.“I get mad every time I watch it,” Brown said. “I was defenseless.”ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Brown’s attorney did not grant an interview request from The Associated Press with his client.Despite what happened, Brown said he doesn’t regret joining the Milwaukee Bucks.“These incidents happen in every state, every county, every jurisdiction,” he said. “I’ve gotten a lot of love and support from Milwaukee.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film View comments Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Boston bound: LeBron pushes Cavs to Game 7 vs. Celtics China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls This Jan. 26, 2018 police body-camera footage released by Milwaukee Police Department shows NBA Bucks guard Sterling Brown as he talks to arresting police officers after being shot by a stun gun in a Walgreens parking lot in Milwaukee. The release comes as city officials who’ve viewed the videos have expressed concern about how officers conducted themselves. Even leaders of the police department have hinted the video may make them look bad. (Milwaukee Police Department via AP)MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee Bucks player Sterling Brown said Friday he “gave in” when police used a stun gun as they detained him for a parking violation because he didn’t want officers to “pull out their guns.”“I was just being smart. I just wanted to get out of the situation and get home,” Brown told the Journal Sentinel. He said he still gets upset when he watches the video of his interaction with officers in the parking lot of a Walgreens on Jan. 26.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew
Explore Bob Dylan’s “Born Again” Era In New Film, Book and Box Set Email The New York Film Festival will premiere a new concert film while a book and box set also hit shelves this fall.Nate HertweckGRAMMYs Aug 29, 2017 – 10:41 am This fall, a few new gems will be unearthed for fans of Bob Dylan’s deep catalog. NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO May 15, 2017 – 1:50 am Watch highlights: Bob Dylan MusiCares tribute New Bob Dylan Concert Film, Book & Box Set explore-bob-dylans-born-again-era-new-film-book-and-box-set Facebook The New York Film Festival will premiere a Dylan concert film featuring performances from the GRAMMY-winners late 1979-1981 “born again” era. The film, directed by Jennifer Lebeau, is entitled Trouble No More, and includes performances from Toronto and Buffalo at the tail end of Dylan’s 1979-’80 tour, as well as select sermons read by actor Michael Shannon and written by writer/critic Luc Sante, according to Pitchfork. The New York Film Festival runs from Sept. 28 to Oct. 15.Dylan’s “born again” era is also the subject of a new book by Dylan biographer Clinton Heylin. Trouble In Mind: Bob Dylan’s Gospel Years – What Really Happened breaks down the three albums during this period: Slow Train Coming, Saved, and Shot Of Love. Heylin’s latest delve into Dylan’s career a hits shelves Nov. 14, and will coincide with the release of a new Sony Bootleg box set, also due out in November.Read More: Revisit Bob Dylan’s GRAMMY History News Twitter
More details are at the LAMC website. The conference has truly shaped the meaning of the phrase “Latin alternative.”Colombia’s Bomba Estéreo Brings Electro-Cumbia To U.S. On Biggest Tour YetRead more 20th Alt. Latino Conference To Honor 20 Heroes latin-alternative-music-conferences-20th-anniversary-edition-set-july News Latin Alternative Music Conference’s 20th Anniversary Edition Set For July Email Throughout the years, the “Latin alternative” conference has celebrated the genre’s vibrant scene with concerts, panels and showcases Philip MerrillGRAMMYs Jan 4, 2019 – 6:07 pm Every year since 1999, the Latin Alternative Music Conference has brought together a range of voices that make up the Alt. Latino scene and for its 20th anniversary in July it will honor 20 people that have helped it shine throughout the years.The conference, which hosts panels, concerts, exhibits and showcases, will take place July 7–13 in New York City. The 20 conference honorees are “people or companies that have helped these last 20 years be filled with ongoing music.””The LAMC year after year has tried to be a meeting of the minds — a platform to show that there is an amazing, vibrant and complex market within Latin music,” Nacional Records president and LAMC producer Tomas Cookman told Billboard. “Be it having Pitbull, Bomba Estereo or Natalia Lafourcade on early career showcases, or Calle 13 or Cafe Tacvba filling up a public park to capacity, the range and types of artists we have highlighted over these 20 years runs the gamut of the ever-changing face of Latin music.”Music performances will take place at the Central Park Summerstage, Celebrate Brooklyn at Prospect Park and Queensbridge Park. Panels will cover women in music, music education and the U.S. Latin market, among other topics. The LAMC will also have regional spotlights on Argentina, Colombia and Spain.GRAMMY winners Natalia Lafourcade, Residente, La Santa Cecilia, and Carlos Vives are LAMC alumni. GRAMMY nominee and Latin GRAMMY winner Jorge Drexler is another notable alum.GRAMMY nominees Carla Morrison, Los Rakas and Kinky are former winners of the conference’s Discovery Award. Facebook https://twitter.com/theLAMC/status/1042856756886401025 Twitter
High CourtThe High Court on Thursday stayed the candidature of nine aspirants, including 6 BNP candidates, of the 11th national election as they did not resign from the posts of upazila chairmen ahead of contesting the national election, reports UNB.The HC-bench of justice JBM Hassan and justice Md Khairul Alam came up with the orders following writs filed by other candidates.The candidates are Faridul Kabir Talukder Shamim of Jamalpur-4 (BNP), Abdul Muhit Talukder of Bogura-3 (BNP), Md Muslim Uddin of Brahmanbaria-4 (BNP), Abdul Majid of Jhenaidah-2 (BNP), Fazlur Rahman of Joypurhat-1, Abu Sayeed Chand of Rajshahi-6 (BNP), Bashirullah Juru of Brahmanbaria (independent), Mahmud Hasan Sumon of Mymensingh-8 (Awami League’s rival) and Md Asaduzzaman of Rangpur-1 (Awami League’s rival).Now, it has become uncertain whether they would be able to contest the election, said deputy attorney general Motahar Hossain Saju.Earlier, their nominations were rejected by the returning officers.After filing appeals with election commission, they got back their candidature.
The Lincoln University Board of Trustees Chair Kimberly Lloyd ‘94 is hosting The Chairlady’s Garden Party to benefit the university’s first-ever $10 million Students First Campaign for student scholarships, June 21, on the lawn of its historic Alumni House. The Students First Campaign, which is an endowment campaign for merit and need-based scholarship support, is chaired by Hollywood legend and philanthropist Dr. William “Bill” Cosby Jr., who has been encouraging support from corporations, foundations, churches, the general public as well as alumni, faculty and staff of The Lincoln University. The campaign ends June 30. “The concept of the Chairlady’s Garden Party is two-fold, first the opportunity to raise scholarship funds for our students at The Lincoln University and to secondly display the southern charm of our main campus,” said Lloyd, who is asking ladies in attendance to adorn themselves with hats, gloves and pearls while the gentlemen to don seersucker and linen suits or cool breeze shirts and slacks. Currently, Lincoln lacks the funds of wealthier institutions to compete for the best and brightest students, who typically chose the university. In addition, more than 96 percent of Lincoln’s students depend on financial assistance. Over the past several months, the university has enlisted the support of alumni, faculty & staff as well as corporate, foundation and faith-based community leadership to also encourage support while numerous solicitations on Dr. Cosby’s behalf have been made to support the campaign. “The Students First Campaign is an important effort and we look forward to our guests’ support as well as hope they take the opportunity to tour the campus and visit the newly-established Danjuma African Art Center, the Langston Hughes Memorial Library, our International Cultural Center and the many other historical or significant sites on campus,” said Lloyd. Guest reservations for The Chairlady’s Garden Party are $20 per person. To make reservations, email: email@example.com or call: 1–800-726-3014.