Dietmar Hamann and Steve Bunce joined the host for today’s show, which included this week’s Bunce Tale, and an interview with England rugby captain Chris Robshaw.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 1 Cristiano Ronaldo inspired Real Madrid to a 4-0 Champions League victory over Shakhtar Dontesk, grabbing a second-half hat-trick.His treble against the Ukranians took him to 80 goals in total in the competition, three ahead of rival Lionel Messi, who he had previously been on level terms with.Barcelona’s Argentine superstar gets his crack at getting back on level terms with Ronaldo on Wednesday night as they take on Roma, but it might be tougher against the Italians.And after Ronaldo’s scoring feat on Tuesday night, fans gave their opinions on the duo, adding to a debate, which looks like never ending.You can see some of the reaction below…
The end is near for Jose Mourinho at Chelsea.That’s the view of Tony Cascarino after he witnessed his former club crash to their ninth defeat in 16 Premier League games at Leicester on Monday night.Mourinho is Chelsea’s most successful manager of all-time and was offered a public vote of confidence by Roman Abramovich last month.But Cascarino believes the club’s owner will have no choice but to swing the axe if there is not a dramatic turnaround in form over the Christmas period.“It has got to the stage now where it is getting a lit bit embarrassing,” said the ex-Blues striker, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“Roman has done something he has never done before and that is back a manager. He has never backed one. And now we are looking and thinking, how long will this continue?“They are not going to make Champions League football [by finishing in the top four], as Jose said last night, so it feels like if it goes on there can be no alternative. You lose your job – that is Premier League football.“If you fail, if you fall short of the demands of an owner, or of a football club, you have a wage bill that is second or first in the Premier League and you come 16th or 15th, then of course you have to lose your job.”Mourinho accused his players of ‘betraying’ him following the loss to Leicester and Cascarino believes he has lost the support of the dressing room – contrary to the opinion of another former Chelsea star.“Frankie Lampard said after the game last night he doesn’t believe there’s a problem between the players and the manager, but there has to be,” he said.“If you’re a successful team and you start losing football matches and you’re not doing as well as you can, people make your voice known and you’re heard in the dressing room.“Last night was probably one of their tamest performances because Leicester outran them, outfought them and outplayed them in every department.”
SEE HERE – Liverpool FC: ‘Sack the lot and give Jurgen Klopp the cheque book!’ Reds fans rue missed opportunity to sign Dele Alli Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli scored at Goodison Park to earn his side a crucial point against Everton on Sunday afternoon.The England international delivered another classy performance, leaving Spurs and England supporters excited over his future in the Premier League.So much so that some have described the 19-year-old as the best in his position since Steven Gerrard, while others believe he is a future Three Lions captain in the making.Read what Premier League fans think of the young midfielder, on Twitter, below… 1 Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli
Nicklas Bendtner has been linked to Crystal Palace 1 It’s not just Emmanuel Adebayor linked with Crystal Palace, but Nicklas Bendtner, too.The striker currently plays for Wolfsburg, but the Eagles have been made aware of his availability.Palace fans believe they need strikers capable of scoring, though some are not that impressed with the players being linked to the club.Here, talkSPORT looks at some of the reaction online.Poor Bendtner…
5 5 1. John Terry – read the latest on the Chelsea captain below, then click the arrow above to find out about the fitness of four more doubtful players for the PSG game – Terry has been absent for the past five games after picking up a hamstring injury against Newcastle United on February 13th. There was hope that the Blues captain would return for the clash with Paris Saint-Germain at Stamford Bridge this week, but Guus Hiddink is not confident that he will recover in time. ‘I don’t think John will make Wednesday. Hopefully, let’s see what can be done for next weekend. He has to be careful, said the Dutchman. 5 2. Diego Costa – The Brazil-born striker was a shock exclusion from Chelseas squad at the weekend, with Bertrand Traore taking his place, and Hiddink later revealed that the forward was struggling with a minor tendon problem. However, his absence was taken as a precaution and he is expected to return to the line up this week. Hiddink said, He had a little problem on the tendon, so that’s why I was bit cautious not to take the risk of worsening the situation. I think he will be OK on Wednesday. 5 4. Kenedy – The Brazilian suffered a small problem in the win over Norwich City, consequently missing the 1-1 draw with Stoke City at the weekend. A report on Chelseas website stated that Hiddink is expecting the Brazilian to train and will assess him on Tuesday at the latest. He is therefore in with a chance of featuring against PSG. 5. Radamel Falcao – Falcaos time at Stamford Bridge has been as miserable as his last season at Old Trafford, but he hasnt given up hope of making an impact over the next few months. The Colombian has resumed full training after months out with a thigh injury. It remains to be seen how or if Hiddink will use the forward, particularly with January loan signing Alexandre Pato also vying for a place in the squad. 5 Chelsea host Paris Saint-Germain in the second-leg of their last 16 Champions League tie on Wednesday night and there are concerns over the fitness of some of their senior squad.John Terry has been missing for the past five games, while Diego Costa didn’t play a part in the 1-1 draw with Stoke City at the weekend.But was interim manager Guus Hiddink simply resting the pair or is the situation more serious than anticipated?talkSPORT has provided the latest on the fitness of the above duo, and more, ahead of their meeting with PSG – get up to date by clicking the arrow above, right. 3. Pedro – Pedro, like Terry, has been nursing a hamstring injury, with his sustained in the victory over Southampton on February 27th. Hiddink revealed that the Spaniard is yet to return to training, and is expected to remain on the sidelines with his club captain. Pedro is the same. He hasn’t practised with the group yet. He is getting treatment but also running and exercising on the pitch.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City “The people targeted in these operations are career criminals who often prey on members of the immigrant community,” said Robert Schoch, special agent in charge for the ICE office of investigations in Los Angeles. “We want to send a clear message to foreign national gang members that ICE intends to deal strongly with those who ignore our immigration laws and place our neighborhoods at risk.” Operation Community Shield is an ongoing nationwide initiative in which ICE is partnering with other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to address the public safety threat posed by transnational gangs. The strategy uses criminal prosecutions and administrative immigration arrests to disrupt gang activity and dismantle the organizations. The foreign nationals arrested as part of these latest ICE enforcement actions in Los Angeles are linked to more than a dozen different street gangs, including Canoga Park Alabama, San Fer, Vineland Boys, and Blythe Street. In addition to the San Fernando Valley, ICE agents made arrests today in Los Angeles and Palmdale. The majority of the gang members arrested by ICE in the two operations are from Mexico, but the group also includes foreign nationals from El Salvador and Guatemala. In the continuing crackdown on illegal criminal immigrants, 37 foreign nationals face federal criminal charges or deportation following the second of two major enforcement operations within as many weeks by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement targeting aliens with ties to violent street gangs in the San Fernando Valley. The latest arrests came as more than 200 ICE agents fanned out across the Valley this morning and in several other communities searching for foreign national gang members. Today’s operation, which netted 28 arrests, is the second of two major enforcement actions carried out by ICE targeting aliens linked to 15 violent Valley-based street gangs. The first operation, which took place September 20, resulted in nine gang members and gang associates being taken into custody. Among those arrested by ICE agents today was Jorge Torres, 31, a reputed member of the Project Boys, whose criminal record includes prior convictions for drug charges as well as battery on a police officer. Torres, who has been previously deported five times, has been indicted by the United States Attorney’s Office for re-entry after deportation, a felony that carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. Most of the remaining targets were taken into custody on administrative immigration violations. They will be held in ICE custody and scheduled for a deportation hearing before an immigration judge. Since Operation Community Shield was launched in February 2005, ICE agents nationwide have arrested more than 5,000 gang members and associates. Locally, ICE agents in Los Angeles have made more than 500 arrests since the initiative’s inception. ICE will continue to use its broad immigration authorities, both criminal and administrative, against gang members, as well as its customs authorities to target gang-related narcotics smuggling and money laundering activities. Operation Community Shield also involves strong cooperation with existing federal, state, and local anti-gang efforts. ———————————————– For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Home Depot officials have said they are willing to work with the city on developing a program to accommodate the workers and reduce the impact on neighboring communities. But they say they also want flexibility in any ordinance. City officials said they believe that can be accommodated through a conditional-use permit procedure. Councilman Richard Alarcon said it has been a long-standing problem since the city established the first day worker site in the San Fernando Valley. “This will help us recognize in the beginning a potential problem,” Alarcon said. “It is a problem we have at every home improvement store, and this will let us deal with it up front, before the stores open.” The council action calls for the City Attorney’s Office to return with a final measure within 45 days. email@example.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A plan to require large home improvement stores to set aside space for day laborers moved ahead Friday as the Los Angeles City Council asked for a final ordinance. “This is a citywide problem and rather than try to go back and retroactively fix the issue, we should deal with the stores before they open,” Councilman Bernard Parks said. Under the measure, all home improvement stores with more than 100,000 square feet of space will be required to set aside space for day laborers that includes plumbing facilities. Parks said that while he appreciates the economic development that comes with the stores, he has had a problem with a Home Depot in his district that has said the city must deal with the day workers who gather at the site, seeking jobs.
Bond’s reaction was a surprise, said ICE spokeswoman Kelly Nantel, and Myers is trying to speak with the senator about it. Despite Bush’s decision to circumvent the Senate, it was clear in earlier hearings that Myers had won over many doubters with her performance in stabilizing the agency’s financial problems and improving its management.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre With just a few more weeks to go before the end of the session, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has not scheduled a vote on Myers. Spokesman Jim Manley said this week that Reid has “serious concerns” with the nomination and is consulting with other lawmakers about how to proceed. Myers met resistance in 2005, the first time President Bush tried to appoint her to the Homeland Security Department post, after Democrats and Republicans said she had weak credentials for the high-profile job. To avoid a fight, Bush installed her during a Senate recess and her position expires at year’s end unless the Senate votes to confirm her. Questions about nepotism also came up because Myers is the niece of Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. She is married to John Wood, the U.S. attorney in Kansas City and former chief of staff to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. Even some of those expected to defend Julie Myers seemed shaky. “The way things are going, we may not ever vote on her nomination,” Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., who is a second cousin of Myers’ husband, said Friday. “Our nation’s immigration enforcement agency needs noncontroversial leadership. That would be best served by going in a different direction with this nomination.” WASHINGTON – Just when it appeared Julie Myers had cleared every hurdle in her quest to officially become the nation’s top immigration official, a dreadlocked wig and a prisoner’s outfit could cost her the job. Myers, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, ran into trouble earlier this month after she and two other agency managers gave the “most original” costume award to a white employee who came to the agency’s Halloween party dressed as an escaped prisoner with dreadlocks and darkened skin. The incident drew complaints of racial insensitivity and an apology from Myers. It also cast doubt on whether she’ll get a confirmation vote before the end of the year, when her original appointment expires. It would be a stunning collapse for Myers, 38, a native of Shawnee, Kan., who worked hard over the past two years to convince skeptical lawmakers that someone with little immigration experience was up to the task of running the government’s second-largest investigative force.
PASADENA – Southern California Edison has abandoned its policy of encouraging commercial development, including permanent buildings, on rights of way beneath high-voltage power lines. The decision was welcomed by civic activists and open space advocates in the city who have waged a lengthy battle against Edison’s plans to put self-storage units on the rights of way used by two long-established nurseries in East Pasadena. In a statement, Edison officials said: “Our updated policy dictates that any new secondary land uses will be low-intensity in nature, such as greenbelts or trails, and will not include permanent structures.” Buildings “impair our ability to safely maintain and inspect the existing grid infrastructure” and would impede the “massive ongoing infrastructure replacement and expansion effort,” the statement said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “We’re very happy to hear Edison has changed its policy 180 degrees and now at last appears to be endorsing or supporting green uses for the land under high-voltage lines – it’s what we’ve been pushing for all along,” said Bob Kneisel of Open Space Now, a group formed about a year ago to lobby for more open land in Pasadena. “But we’d like to know if it’s real by hearing more details and seeing some official documents,” he said. Edison spokesman Steve Conroy said Monday that he could not comment on specific right-of-way projects, planned or underway, or how they would be affected. “We will continue to look at secondary land use on rights of way, but the focus will be on low-intensity-use type of projects, which would include nurseries,” Conroy said. Originally, power companies leased rights of way for agricultural uses such as nurseries, strawberry or tree farms to help keep down weeds and brush. Pasadena Mayor Bill Bogaard said the city will “explore the full extent of the policy announcement so that we at City Hall are sure we understand it.” But based on what he knows, Bogaard said, he is confident there will be no new construction in the Edison corridor. “There has been no project entitled, indeed no application has been filed,” Bogaard said, referring to Tustin-based RHC Communities’ initial proposal to build self-storage units at the Persson’s Nursery site on East Sierra Madre Boulevard. Bogaard said RHC’s application was filed and then withdrawn, no application is pending and no project was previously approved. “And in light of the increasing recognition of fire danger, it seems imprudent for the city to consider new construction under power lines,” Bogaard said. Councilman Steve Haderlein, whose district includes the rights of way used by Persson’s and Present Perfect Nursery on Kinneloa Avenue, said the policy change was “wonderful news” that clears the way for the city to create more parks and usable open space. Opposition to building on open land is “regional, not just in Pasadena,” Haderlein said. “And perhaps Edison was also seeing there wouldn’t be buckets and buckets of money in it, or at least enough to make a meaningful difference to rate-payers,” Haderlein said, referring to the California Public Utilities Commission’s demand that Edison used its land assets to generate more income and reduce user rates. “I’ll be asking city staff to follow up with Edison, and get clarification of what it means to the parcels in East Pasadena,” Haderlein said. Persson’s and Present Perfect both negotiated lease extensions with Edison earlier this year. Gary Butters, whose wife Linda owns Persson’s, credited the months-long series of community rallies and protests – and Bogaard’s negotiations – for helping them fight off Edison’s efforts to move the couple’s 36-year-old business across the street. “We went through quite a bit of heck for four years,” Butters said. “I think the community is one of the biggest reasons we’re still here.” firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4482160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!