Aug 27, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Close to half of the nation’s influenza vaccine doses will be shipped later than expected this fall, but everyone who wants a flu shot should ultimately be able to get it, federal health officials said today.Chiron Corp. announced yesterday that it is delaying release of its flu vaccine doses until early October because some lots of vaccine didn’t meet sterility standards. The company said it expects to ship 46 million to 48 million doses, down from the 50 million doses predicted previously.But Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said today the CDC still expects that about 100 million doses of vaccine, more than ever before, will be available this year.”Those who are used to receiving their shot in early October may not get it then,” Gerberding said. But, “The bottom line is that right now we’re expecting to have enough flu vaccine so that everybody who needs flu vaccine can have it. . . . For folks who are trying to plan for their immunization, the best thing is to stay tuned to messages from your local health officers and your clinician.”The other flu vaccine manufacturers are expected to deliver their product on schedule, Gerberding reported. Chiron and Aventis Pasteur are each expected to produce roughly half of the projected 100 million doses, while MedImmune is likely to supply about 1.5 million doses of the intranasal vaccine FluMist, she said.Chiron anticipates shipping 40 million doses in October, and MedImmune also will deliver its doses in October, according to Gerberding. After shipping a few doses this month, Aventis anticipates delivering 15 million to 20 million doses in September and the rest in October, she said.”We’re confident that we’ll be able to get vaccination programs started on time with the doses that we do have,” Gerberding commented.Neither Chiron nor Gerberding revealed exactly what caused the problem with the Chiron vaccine, produced in Liverpool, England. The company announcement said “a small number of lots” failed to meet sterility specifications. “While ongoing internal investigations into the root cause of the variance indicate no widespread issues with the manufacturing process, Chiron has delayed releasing any Fluvirin doses until it has completed additional release tests,” the announcement said.Gerberding said Chiron officials told her they “have identified the problem, they’re fixing it, and they’re taking extra steps to make sure they have a safe product before they ship it.”Chiron said its planned “late-season delivery” of 2 million Fluvirin doses for the CDC stockpile for the Vaccines for Children program remains on schedule. Those doses are in addition to the 46 million to 48 million produced for general distribution.Gerberding said the vaccine lots affected by the sterility problem don’t include any pediatric vaccine. “We’re not expecting a decrease in total predicted doses available for children at this time,” she said.In response to a question, she said Chiron’s vaccine production problems, to her knowledge, were not related to thimerosal, a mercury compound used as a preservative in most flu vaccine doses. The CDC predicted in May that 6 million to 8 million doses of thimerosal-free flu vaccine would be produced this year for people concerned about the preservative.Gerberding said flu vaccine delays are nothing new. “As recently as 2001 we had some shipments that were delayed until October. . . . We’ve been here before, we’ve done this before, and we’ve handled it.”The CDC, she noted, recommends flu vaccination for people aged 50 and older, those who have a chronic medical condition or weakened immunity, those who expect to be pregnant during the flu season, children aged 6 to 23 months, healthcare workers, and people in close contact with others in the foregoing categories.
highlights New Delhi: India’s current bowling coach Bharat Arun is likely to retain his position even if there are multiple candidates while R Sridhar will have his nose ahead despite South African star Jonty Rhodes throwing his hat in the ring for the fielding coach’s position. But batting coach Sanjay Bangar might find it difficult to retain his position when the national selectors pick the support staff for the Indian team. All three have got extension along with head coach Ravi Shastri till the end of the upcoming tour of the West Indies and after that, fresh interviews will be conducted with all the incumbents automatically in fray.As per norms, while the new Cricket Advisory Committee — likely to be chaired by Kapil Dev — will decide on the head coach, the selectors have been tasked to conduct interviews for the rest of the support staff. If those privy to the developments are to be believed, Arun could turn out to be a unanimous choice considering the performance of India’s pacers in all formats of the game.”In the last 18 to 20 months, the work put in by Arun has been phenomenal. The current Indian attack is considered to be the best in the longest format. Mohammed Shami back at his best and (Jasprit) Bumrah’s consistency are a few things Arun must get credit for. It’s up to the selectors but they might find it difficult to replace him,” a senior BCCI official told PTI on Friday.However, same can’t be said about Bangar, who many believe hasn’t been able to create a solid middle order despite four years in the job.”Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have been performing much before Bangar came into the fray. He has no role in their success. However, his job was to create a few solid options in the middle order and we have seen in the World Cup that he has failed miserably in that,” the official added.There have been reports that it was on Bangar’s insistence that Mahendra Singh Dhoni was asked to bat at No.7 in the lost semifinal against the New Zealand, a decision that has been roundly criticised.While Arun is the favourite among three specialist coaches, Sridhar is also not far behind as India has made rapid strides in the fielding department.But he will get a tough fight from Rhodes, who is set to get an opportunity to give a presentation to the selection committee.”Rhodes is a big name and his candidature can’t be ignored. However, this also needs to be taken into account that how the team’s fielding performance has been,” the official said. Meanwhile, It is known that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has invited fresh application for the support staff and head coach. Soham Desai, who has been working with National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, is currently in West Indies assisting India A side. He is supposedly set to join the men’s team in Florida and the Indian team will prepare for first of three T20 Internationals. Basu and physio Patrick Farhart have left the side after the World Cup. Both are being flooded with offers from the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchises. It is understood that Basu may return to Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), with whom he was associated with previously. It is also known that the duo was offered an extention by the BCCI, but both had denied the offer. (With Inputs: PTI) For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. India will play West Indies from August 3. India’s support staff got extention for 45 days after World Cup exit. Jonty Rhodes has applied to be India’s fielding coach.
MOST READ “Everyone in the world of football expects Korea not to lose. The players are focused and have been training very well. We’ll see what we can do. We are very optimistic.”It will be a moment to savor for everyone involved in the team from captain Phil Younghusband down to the 22 other players in the squad as they finally get their reward for the hard work and sacrifice they put in just to thrust Philippine football into the continent’s elite.As the lowest ranked team in Group C with China and Kyrgyzstan, the Azkals have no illusion that the tournament will be a trouble-free coming-out party. And with the Koreans as their first assignment, they cannot expect any favors from the 1956 and 1960 champions.“It will be tough and they’re obviously the favorites in our group and favorites for the competition,” said Younghusband.“When the draw was made I was happy that we’ve got one of the big teams. It will be a great experience for the team. It will sort of put in perspective and give us a gauge of where we really are as a team and how far we really need to go to compete with teams in Asia.”ADVERTISEMENT Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Pacquiao: Into the homestretch The Azkals can also draw inspiration from what the Koreans achieved in the Fifa World Cup last year when they stunned 2014 champion Germany, 2-0, in the group stage.Portuguese coach Paolo Bento will be without Tottenham striker Son Heung-min but youngsters Kim Min-jae and Hwang In-beom and Lee Jae-sung pose a heavy scoring threat for the Koreans.It will be the fist competitive meeting between the countries since Koreans’ 5-0 demolition of the Azkals in the 1978 Asian Cup preliminary in Manila.“I think it will be a good game,” said Younghusband.“It will be tough. We’ll need a bit of luck. I think if we can keep it close. We can keep it competitive. You will never know. There’s been some big shocks in football. When you step on that field, give everything we’ve got, who knows what could happen in that game, but it will be tough.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. When the Azkals step on the pitch at Al Maktoum Stadium for the showdown against continental giant South Korea at 5:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m. in the Philippines), they will mark another milestone for a country where the sport has been an afterthought.Azkals coach Sven Goran Eriksson has instilled a strong belief in his side, that with some luck, they could get a result against a country that regularly plays in the World Cup.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We have a lot of respect against Korea, but we should not be afraid [against them],” said Eriksson, who took England to the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 2002 and 2006.“We should go out and play our type of football. Of course Korea will play. They are a strong opponent. But we cannot just defend.” View comments In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Coach Sven Goran Eriksson gather the PH Azkals during a break in practice ahead of their debut Asian Cup match on Monday against South Korea.—mfalkesgaard InstagramDUBAI—It doesn’t get any bigger than this for the Philippine Azkals.Long regarded as one of the continent’s weakest teams, the Azkals finally take a bow in Asian football’s grandest stage as they begin their AFC Asian Cup campaign on Monday night in this bustling Emirate city where close to 700,000 Filipinos reside.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines?