Proposed transfer of ABP pensioners to PFZW postponed again

first_imgThe planned transfer of 158,000 academic hospital workers’ pensions from Dutch civil service scheme ABP to healthcare pension fund PFZW has been postponed again.In a statement, both pension funds said the parties involved failed to meet all necessary conditions in time and therefore could not make a sound decision about the move, scheduled to take effect on 1 January 2015.Negotiations on the transfer – meant to make it easier for academic hospital workers to work at non-academic hospitals – have been ongoing for nearly 10 years.Last summer, ABP announced that the employers and workers had agreed that pensions accrual would be transferred to PFZW as of 1 January, while the accrued pension rights would be taken over by PFZW one year later. Both ABP and PFZW declined to provide additional information about the cause of the new delay.PFZW, however, indicated that it was disappointed.“We have worked hard to resolve the issue,” a spokeswoman said.A spokeswoman for the NFU, the industry body for the employers of the eight academic hospitals, attributed the latest delay to the ongoing legal changes on pensions.“Subjects that seemed to be simple became complicated as a result,” she said.She underlined that both employers and unions still support a transfer, “if it can be concluded in a sound way”.Elise Merlijn, negotiator for civil service union AbvaKabo, said the biggest stumbling block was the threat of a salary reduction for the workers, as the NFU was supposed to pay ABP a €500m compensation for the participants leaving ABP.She added that supervisor De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB) was reluctant to approve the transfer because of the costs that would be incurred by the NFU, as well as by the participants of PFZW, which has a higher funding than ABP.All parties involved have said they are committed to investigating whether the transfer would be possible at a later stage.last_img read more

A head Turner for S.D.

first_imgSAN DIEGO – The San Diego Chargers certainly were aware that Norv Turner was 24 games under .500 and made only one playoff appearance in his nine seasons as an NFL head coach. It didn’t scare them off in the slightest. The Chargers also signed Ted Cottrell a two-year contract as defensive coordinator, then added Ron Rivera as linebackers coach just hours after the Chicago Bears said he wouldn’t be back as their defensive coordinator. Rivera, a linebacker on the Super Bowl champion 1985 Bears, had interviewed for the job that went to Turner. While the immediate reaction by fans was lukewarm, the Chargers pointed to Turner’s previous experience and the chance at continuity. Turner was San Diego’s offensive coordinator in 2001, when he installed the system that helped carry LaDainian Tomlinson to the league MVP award in 2006. “This isn’t a team where you’re rebuilding,” said Turner, who had been San Francisco’s offensive coordinator. “We should start fast. We should be good early and we should be good late. Not having to go through the normal things you have to go through when you make a coaching change is going to help the players more than anyone.” Turner has done well working with young players, and quarterback Philip Rivers is expected to benefit from his tutelage. Rivers was voted to the Pro Bowl as a first-year starter. Turner also knows general manager A.J. Smith, who was an assistant to the late John Butler in 2001. Smith survived a power struggle with Schottenheimer, who was fired last Monday by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a “dysfunctional situation” between the coach and GM. Turner said he spoke with a handful of players on Monday morning and they seemed relieved there wouldn’t be major changes. “Everyone I talked to today said one central thing: We want to win a championship,” Turner said. “We’ve been talking about it ever since I had the opportunity to interview. If it happens, it would be a heck of a deal for all of us.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img Turner got his third shot at a top job when he was given a four-year contract Monday to take over a team that went an NFL-best 14-2 before melting down in the playoffs and then in the front office. The hiring came a week after the surprise firing of Marty Schottenheimer and less than 24 hours after the Chargers finished interviewing the last of six candidates. Turner was the only one with NFL head coaching experience and the only one from the offensive side of the ball. last_img read more