Klinsmann fired as US coach, Arena favoured

first_img While there is time to recover, given the top three teams qualify for the 2018 tournament in Russia and the fourth-place finisher advances to a play-off against Asia’s No. 5 team, players seemed confused by Klinsmann’s tactics, such as a 3-4-1-2 formation. “Today, we made the difficult decision of parting ways with Jurgen Klinsmann,” Gulati said. “There were considerable achievements along the way … but there were also lesser publicised efforts behind the scenes. He challenged everyone in the US. Soccer community to think about things in new ways, and thanks to his efforts we have grown as an organization and expect there will be benefits from his work for years to come.” Arena was inducted into the US National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2010. As US coach, he led the Americans to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals in the team’s best finish since 1930. NEW YORK (AP): Jurgen Klinsmann was fired as coach of the US football team yesterday, six days after a 4-0 loss at Costa Rica dropped the Americans to 0-2 in the final round of World Cup qualifying. Los Angeles Galaxy coach Bruce Arena is the favourite to succeed Klinsmann. Arena coached the national team from 1998 to 2006. Qualifying resumes when the US hosts Honduras on March 24 and play four days later at Panama. “While we remain confident that we have quality players to help us advance to Russia 2018, the form and growth of the team up to this point left us convinced that we need to go in a different direction,” US Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said in a statement. “With the next qualifying match in late March, we have several months to refocus the group and determine the best way forward to ensure a successful journey to qualify for our eighth consecutive World Cup.” A former German star forward who has lived mostly in southern California since retiring as a player in 1998, Klinsmann replaced Bob Bradley in July 2011 and led the team to the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup title and the second round of the 2014 World Cup, where the Americans lost to Belgium in extra time. But the US was knocked out by Jamaica in last year’s Gold Cup semi-finals and lost to Mexico in a play-off for a Confederations Cup berth. The team rebounded to reach the Copa America semi-finals before losing to Argentina 4-0. But this month Mexico beat the Americans 2-1 at Columbus, Ohio, in the first home qualifying loss for the US since 2001. And last week, the Americans were routed in Costa Rica, dropping to 0-2 in the hexagonal, as the final round of World Cup qualifying in North and Central America and the Caribbean is known. CONFUSING TACTICSlast_img read more

Starting the year right

first_imgMOST READ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title LATEST STORIES Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Gonzalez is another big fish with a record of 47-2 with 39 stoppages. The Nicaraguan, known for his ferocious style, is the first boxer to win world titles in all four of the lowest weight classes—minimumweight, light flyweight, flyweight and super flyweight.Strangely, Nietes didn’t holler the name of compatriot Jerwin Ancajas (30-1-2 with 20 KOs).Both Nietes and Ancajas faced fellow Filipinos in 2018, with the former drawing Aston Palicte last September in California, and the latter decisioning Jonas Sultan last May, also in the United States.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Donnie Nietes of Philippines (C) celebrates his victory over Kazuto Ioka of Japan during their WBO super flyweight championship boxing bout in Macau on December 31, 2018. AFPDonnie Nietes is finally ready for the big stage.Immediately after scoring a split decision victory over Japanese fighter Kazuto Ioka on Monday, New Year’s Eve, for his fourth weight division title, the 36-year-old Filipino called out the top dogs of the junior bantamweight class.ADVERTISEMENT Nietes, humble legend, now a proud star! Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum View comments After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk After lording it over in the minor league, Nietes is hoping to tangle with the likes of Sirisaket Sor Rungvisai, Juan Francisco Estrada and Roman Gonzalez, all A-listers in lower weight divisions and who command big-money fights.But first, the new World Boxing Organization (WBO) super flyweight boss has to consider weapons in his arsenal.At 42-1-5 with 23 knockouts, Nietes is not considered a made-for-TV boxer because of his plain, highly technical style.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissRungvisai, the Thai two-time WBC super flyweight champ (47-4-1 with 41 KOs), is a highly entertaining fighter and is the lineal champ in the division, having defeated top guy Estrada in February 2018 in California.The Mexican Estrada (38-3 with 26 KOs) is former unified flyweight champion and is also a marquee boxer because of his flashy style. Among his Filipino victims are Brian Viloria and Milan Melindo.last_img read more

Opposition calls for elections by September 18

first_imgCCJ consequential ordersOpposition leaderBharrat JagdeoPresident David GrangerThe People’s Progressive Party has released its proposals for consequential orders, in which it submitted that the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) order elections to be held by September 18, 2019 and urges the regional Court to protect Guyana from Constitutional abuse.The regional Court is expected to hand down its consequential orders on Friday. On Wednesday, the Opposition released to the media its full submissions on how it believes the country should proceed now that it is confirmed that the Government was defeated by a No-Confidence Motion last year.In the submission, the Opposition noted that the Court should order that the Cabinet, including the President, should have resigned but remain in office to hold elections within three months of June 18, when the CCJ had ruled that the December 21, 2018 passage of the No-Confidence Motion was valid.The Opposition also suggested that an order should be given for the President to announce a date for General and Regional Elections, no later than September 18, 2019. This, it was noted, is because the next general election is due in the first half of 2020.Hence, the effect of the consequential orders which the Attorney General and Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) are seeking would render the vote of no-confidence against the coalition entirely “ineffective and otiose”.“The vote of no-confidence, if given effect to, would have shortened the term of office of the Government by at least one year, the effect of the consequential order which they seek would be to permit the Government to serve out its full five-year term. This Honourable Court is urged not to sanction such a cynical and indeed transparent attempt to subvert the Constitution,” the Opposition argued in its submission.Furthermore, the Opposition said the regional Court should order that the current list of electors be used for the upcoming elections. The Opposition submitted that had there been elections back in March after the December passage of the motion, then the current list would have been used.Importantly, the parliamentary Opposition pointed out that there are no provisions in the law to postpone the hosting of polls to conduct House-to-House registration. The party detailed exactly why the October 31, 2018 list can still be used. The submissions also asked for liberty to apply.On the matter of the appointment of a new GECOM Chairman, the Opposition expressed concern that the Government may try to “draw out” the process of appointing a new Chairman. As such, it asked the Court to order the President appoint a Chairman within three days of being given a final list of six nominees not unacceptable to the President, arising out of consultations between the two sides.And noting that the Court challenges would have caused Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo and PPP Executive Secretary Zulficar Mustapha to incur great expenses on their part, the Opposition requested that the Court award costs.Govt’s submissionThe Government had previously released the proposals it submitted for consequential orders to the CCJ, in which it once again raised questions about the Court’s jurisdiction by claiming that the CCJ cannot set an election date.According to the consequential order proposals, which were released by the Attorney General’s chambers, the opposing parties are seeking consequential orders – like compelling the Government to hold elections in the three months it should have done in the first place—that are “contrary” to legal principles.The Government side claimed that the CCJ “has no jurisdiction to set the date for elections nor to dissolve Parliament”. This is even though President David Granger has failed to do either, in keeping with the constitutional provisions.The Government also claimed in its proposals that “there is no evidence that the President has failed to comply with his duties. Consequentially, there is no basis to order that the President act on his constitutional duty to set a date for elections or to dissolve Parliament”.Thus, the Government is seeking an order that allows the President, Prime Minister, Ministers, and Cabinet to remain in office until a President is sworn in after elections are held. The Attorney General cited Article 106 (7) to defend this position.However, Article 106 (6 and 7) says “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence”.Meanwhile, Article 106 (7) states that “Notwithstanding its defeat, the Government shall remain in office and shall hold an election within three months, or such longer period as the National Assembly shall by resolution supported by not less than two-thirds of the votes of all the elected members of the National Assembly determine, and shall resign after the President takes the oath of office following the election”.last_img read more