The J&K government on Thursday announced 10-day summer vacations, despite pleasant weather, to coincide with the protest calendar of the militant United Jehad Council (UJC) on the first death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani. In the past, summer vacations were announced in the third week of July for schools in the valley.A government order said all educational institutions up to the higher secondary level in Kashmir “shall observe summer vacation from July 6 to July 16”.As schools and colleges remain restive in the Kashmir valley this year, the vacations starkly coincide with the UJC’s weeklong protest programme starting July 8, the day Hizbul commander Wani was killed in an encounter last year, fuelling a five-month long unrest that left over 93 civilians dead and more than 15,000 injured. The UJC has called for a shut down on July 8 and 13.Independent legislator Engineer Rasheed said there was no justification for the vacations. ‘Working days lost’“Most working days in educational institutions have been wasted due to law and order problems. The government seems to have given into Syed Salahuddin’s protest calendar,” said MLA Rasheed. He said vacations were usually declared when the temperatures reach its peak, “However, this year, the temperatures are comparatively moderate.”Netizens also took potshots at the government. “Summer vacations with students wearing woollens comes as a surprise,” wrote a Facebook user.
A day after the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram (MCG) sealed a mosque in Sheetla Mata Colony in Gurugram, a Gurgaon Nagrik Ekta Manch team visited the area on Thursday and said that it was an obvious case of the structure being “singled out” for action.Independent filmmaker Rahul Roy, who visited the colony along with half-a-dozen members of the organisation, said there was construction going on around the mosque, but the MCG did not initiate action against them and it was, therefore, an “obvious” case of the religious structure being singled out for sealing. Mr. Roy said that earlier as well the administration had informally shut down several open spaces for offering Namaz in the city, and now they sealed the mosque after a controversy erupted over it a week ago. “Since the administration could do it under the garb of action against illegal construction, they planned to do it,” said Mr. Roy.He added that it would only embolden the Hindu outfits and create an atmosphere where they can cry about anything and get it done. Mr. Roy said the organisation members meet in the evening to decide the future course of action.Meanwhile, a large number of Muslims continued to sit on “dharna” outside the mosque as a mark of protest against the sealing. Wajid Khan Nehru Yuva Sangathan Welfare Society chairman Hazid Shahzad Khan said the community members would give a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner on the issue.The members of Sanyukt Hindu Sangarsh Samiti, conglomeration of local units of right-wing outfits, held a meeting during the day to welcome the action taken by the administration and demanded that holding of “dharna” near the sealed structure be not allowed as it could disturb the peace in the area. “It was an illegal structure being used to offer Namaz and a majority of the population had objection to it. We gave a complaint to the administration against use of loudspeakers a week ago and welcome the action initiated,” said Hindu Kranti Dal leader Rajiv Mittal.
The North East Rural Livelihood Project (NERLP) has empowered the poor and improved lives of people in about 300,000 rural households in Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim, an official statement said. Under this project, 10,462 boys and girls have been trained in various job skills and 5,494 of them are employed today, it said.Launched in 2012, the NERLP is a World Bank aided, multi-state ₹683 crore project under the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER). Implemented in 11 districts of Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim, the project aims “to improve rural livelihoods especially that of women, unemployed youth and the most disadvantaged, in four North Eastern States“.The NERLP has empowered rural poor and improved livelihoods in about 300,000 rural households in 1,645 villages under 58 development blocks across the 11 districts of four states of Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim, the statement said. The project has focussed on five development strategies — social empowerment, economic empowerment, partnership development, project management and livelihood and value chain developments, it said. It has impacted the lives of about 18,00,000 people with the creation of common economic assets worth around ₹136 crore, it said. These include community projects executed by 1,114 Community Development Groups with the total outlay of ₹105 crore and 176 rural infrastructure projects under the Model Livelihood Cluster and Value Chain Development with a total investment of ₹31 crore, the statement said. Community Development Group (CDG) comprises three members of every family with the major role to develop Community Development Plan (CDP) with project funding of up to ₹10 lakh, it said. The activities under CDP include reclamation of wasteland, construction of check-dams, plantation, horticulture projects, provision of village electrification through hydrogen, provision of solar lighting, spring water harvest to mitigating water needs for homestead farming, animal rearing, health and sanitation, it said.“The CDPs are impacting the villages in big ways since village communities – members of the CDGs – have selected what is most pertinent for their own progress and development,” the statement said. Across the project districts, livelihood activities pursued by Self Help Group (SHG) members have increased considerably, thus increasing family incomes, it said. Women have become more knowledgeable and expressive, and they display better leadership qualities, it said. The NERLP intervention has brought many positive changes as one SHG leader has become a Cabinet minister in the state legislature in Tripura, and many SHG leaders are panchayat leaders today, the statement added.
Uruguay’s 1-0 win over Italy was followed by memes on Twitter showing Uruguay striker Luiz Suarez biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini. This is the third time that Suarez has bitten a football player, with him facing a possible ban from FIFA.Under the hashtag #suarez, #ITAvsURU, #cannibal and #BanSuarez, the twitterati brought out their humorous side through several witty memes, with reactions ranging from outrage to mirth.One of the memes shows him with vampire teeth, with the caption of ‘Count Suarez’. Another shows him wearing a muzzle worn by dogs to prevent from them biting humans. A video entitled “Suarez’s greatest hits” show the three times he bit other footballers, saying he has finally completed his hat-trick.Perhaps Luis Suarez of Uruguay should change his name to Count Suarez and move to Transylvania!! @David10TV your take pic.twitter.com/02Pr8HG37y DOM TIBERI (@DOMTIBERI) June 24, 2014Would love to see him play in a muzzle #suarez pic.twitter.com/nXS4SRRukR ** Paul Anderson ** (@Seggaboi) June 24, 2014Several tweeters came up with witty one-liners, such as “if you can’t beat them, bite them” and “Suarez is hoping to play Germany and try a shoulder of Lahm.”Posters of popular movies were morphed with the footballer’s face. One of them replaced the shark in the poster promoting the movie Jaws with Suarez. Another user even placed him in the poster of the movie Twilight, saying he would be an ideal candidate for the role of a vampire. Another of these movie memes show him wearing a mask of Hannibal Lecter, the cannibalistic killer, with the caption “Having an old friend for dinner.”advertisementYup Suarez would be fantastic casting. RT @SBNation: So stoked for this remake. pic.twitter.com/0s3btVEwig Isheta Salgaocar (@IshetaS) June 24, 2014Who needs Jaws when you have Luis Suarez #URU #represent ? pic.twitter.com/MW6s8AVHSo Deandra de Kretser (@deandrawhitney) June 25, 2014hannibal suarez pic.twitter.com/u1uF1as9YB joe conway (@joeconway50) June 25, 2014 A lot of brands saw the incidence as an opportunity to promote themselves. Snickers, the chocolate company, came out with the line, “More satisfying than Italians. Next time you’re hungry, grab a Snickers” while the Apple logo of an apple with a bite taken from it read “Suarez was here.” Pizza Express told Suarez “if you ever want to bite into a tastier Italian, try our pizza.”Snickers troll Suarez for biting on Chiellini#WorldCup pic.twitter.com/2qJEOtIdCu Before I Was Famous (@BeforeFamePics) June 24, 2014It’s confirmed,Luis Suarez is the one who bit the Apple logo #WorldCup pic.twitter.com/rKPpmVdHh6 Dignited (@Dignited) June 25, 2014Some were ecstatic with Suarez, since an online Norwegian gambling site had offered odds of 1:175 that Suarez would not bite anyone. 167 people made the bet, and one winner who put in 32 krone (a krone is worth about Rs. 10) walked away with 5600 krone after the match.QUALITY: A Norwegian punter placed a bet on Luis Suarez biting an opponent at this Summer’s World Cup! pic.twitter.com/FNZ1YoKkmH- BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) June 24, 2014
Country Music’s biggest stars have rallied to announce plans for COUNTRY RISING, a benefit concert to support those in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and additional Caribbean islands who have been impacted by the recent hurricanes.The star-studded lineup at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Nov. 12 will include performances by Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, Garth Brooks, Sam Hunt, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Chris Stapleton, George Strait and Carrie Underwood. Tickets and VIP packages for the event go on Ticketmaster.com.In light of the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas this week, and out of respect for victims, event organisers have postponed the on-sale date originally scheduled for this Friday.Additional artists and more details will be announced over the coming weeks at CountryRising.org.The Nashville music community has also stepped on board to offer services to support, with AEG and Live Nation teaming up as the official show promoters alongside VIP experience experts CID Entertainment, Bridgestone Arena and the Nashville Predators. Country Rising will benefit The Country Rising Fund of The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee, which was established to support charitable initiatives to help victims of the September 2017 hurricanes — Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose and Maria. In the course of rebuilding lives disrupted by these devastating storms, there are immediate needs and there also will be long-term needs. This fund will strategically support both as they emerge.
Sky Deutschland has teamed up with German football league the DFL to add a video-on-demand offering to its existing football coverage. The service, which will focus on archive content, will be made available via the Sky Go multiscreen offering. Sky will re-format footage of recent Bundesliga history and package it for on-demand consumption.Further details of the service will be unveiled at the start of the new Bundesliga season.
US digital video ad spend grew by 42% over the past year to total US$7.46 billion in 2015, according to AOL’s 2015 State of the Video Industry report.The study said that in the next four years the video ad-spend figure will nearly double, reaching more than US$13 billion by 2019.“For the sixth consecutive year, digital video has been growing and shows no signs of stopping. For many in the video space, this is a great problem to have. But, with more dollars piling into video, new opportunities are emerging quickly,” said AOL.The report found that nearly 40% of buyers, more than twice as many as in 2012, said their increased digital spend is coming directly from broadcast TV, with 31% saying they were funding their digital video efforts with cable television dollars.Some 90% of buyers also said they are shifting dollars from linear TV to digital channels, reallocating an average of 10% of their television budgets.“Of marketers who are moving TV dollars towards digital channels, 88% are shifting that television spend to some form of video, such as desktop, mobile or over-the-top,” said AOL.“63% of buyers claimed that the bulk of this shifted spend is going to desktop video, with 55% directing the reallocation to mobile video.”Overall, AOL said that digital ad spend in the US is projected to total more than US$58 billion in 2015 and is projected to reach US$93.7 billion by 2019, with much growth acceleration coming from digital video.