Company caught thief after installing new CCTV system at Donegal business

first_imgA company installed a specialist CCTV system to catch a suspected thief after their accountant noticed their business was not performing as well as it should be.Castle Interiors, a painting and decorating supply company in Co Donegal had noticed their books were not tallying over a period of time. They installed a new surveillance camera system and observed one employee who was caught red-handed dipping in and out of the till.Alan Moore appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court in Co Donegal today for sentence after previously being found guilty of ten counts of theft at the shop at the Courtyard Shopping Centre in Letterkenny.A jury of twelve found him guilty on all charges by a majority verdict of ten to two.The court heard how the owner of the shop, Rossa McCosker, had been informed by his accountant that there had been an unexplained shrinkage in stock.The accountant also said the shop was not performing as it should be.Employee Alan Moore, aged 54, had been reprimanded on a number of occasions for leaving the till open.An older surveillance system which had to be played back by staff was then replaced but Moore had not been told of this.When the new ‘live’ surveillance system was put in place, a member of staff in the company’s Ballyshannon office monitored the activity in the shop.Between 22nd November, 2013 and December 2nd, 2013, the employee made a contemporaneous note of everything that happened in the shop while watching the live CCTV stream.She had noted when to ring in some items into the till put money in or took money out.The jury was shown footage of ten specific incidents when More took cash out of the till and put it into his pockets.The court was told that a total of €794 had not been rung into the till and that €780 in cash had been taken from the till.Because the items were not being rung into the till there was no excess of cash in the till to be lodged at the bank.When approached about the incidents Moore became very angry and later claimed that Mr McCosker had wanted to close the shop and did not want to pay out redundancy money.She was strongly denied and the court was reminded that the Government paid 60% of redundancy payouts in any case.Detective Garda Paul Lynch gave evidence of interviewing Moore after he was arrested.He admitted that he had operated a haphazard system for operating the till for a number of years but this had been tolerated by management.In his victim impact statement, owner Mr McCosker said he operated a number of businesses and after this, he had found it difficult to trust employees.“I am less able to trust individuals and am watchful and needy and I feel more vulnerable to fraud,” he said.The court was told that Moore was now a 56-year-old married man with two sons and had no issues with drugs, drink or gambling.Judge John Aylmer adjourned the case to decide on a sentence which he said he will pass on May 8th next.Company caught thief after installing new CCTV system at Donegal business was last modified: May 2nd, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Alan MooreCastle INteriorsCourtyard Shopping Centredonegalfraudtheftlast_img read more

Press release: Deputy Minister of Communications joins the South Africa’s Men’s Hockey Team to Commemorate International Mandela Day

first_imgDeputy Minister of Communications, Ms Tandi Mahambehlala will spend International Mandela Day on Tuesday 18 July 2017 with Brand South Africa and the South African Men’s Hockey Team at the New Jerusalem Children’s Home in Midrand.Ms Tandi Mahambehlala is South Africa’s Deputy Minister of Communications. (Image: GovernmentZA, Flickr)Johannesburg, Friday 14 July 2017 – Brand South Africa will host the Deputy Minister of Communications, Ms Tandi Mahambehlala and the SA Men’s Hockey Team – who are competing in the Hockey World League Semi-Finals currently underway in Johannesburg at the Wits Hockey Stadium, to commemorate International Mandela Day at the New Jerusalem Children’s Home on 18 July 2017.International Mandela Day is a commemorative day inspired by a call Nelson Mandela made for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world’s social injustices.To honour the late African leaders’ epic struggle, setbacks, renewed hope and ultimate triumph – the United Nations General Assembly via unanimous decision proclaimed Mandela’s birthday, 18 July, as Nelson Mandela International Day in 2009, to mark his contribution to the anti-apartheid struggle.It called on individuals to donate 67 minutes to doing something for others, commemorating the 67 years that Mandela had been a part of the movement.“The world remains beset by so much suffering , poverty and deprivation it is in your hands to make of our world a better one for all this famous call to action by our Former President Nelson Mandela is a continuation of legacy, which calls upon all South Africans of all races and creeds to unite and act against poverty,” said the Deputy Minister of Communications Ms Tandi Mahambehlala.This International Mandela Day activation – led Brand South Africa in collaboration with and partners the South African Hockey Association and the Going the Extra Mile (GEM) Project, is premised on Brand South Africa’s mandate to promote pride and patriotism among South Africa by working collaboratively with government, business and civil society.This Mandela Day – Brand South Africa with its aforementioned partners, call on all South Africans to play their part and act against poverty and unite to make a change that’ll enhance the willingness of members of a society to cooperate with each other in order to survive and prosper for a better country and future.Media are invited to join the SA Men’s Hockey Team at the New Jerusalem Children’s Home as follows:Date: Tuesday 18 July 2017Time: 09h30 – 11h00Venue: 138 Steyn Road, President Park, Midrand, 1685RSVPs: Tsabeng Nthite on tsabengn@brandsouthafrica.com or Tel: +27 11 712 5061Follow the conversation on @MahambehlalaT; @Brand_SA and #ActionAgainstPoverty.last_img read more

Dope scandal: Sports ministry orders probe, foreign coach sacked

first_imgUnion Sports Minister Ajay Maken on Tuesday ordered an inquiry into the doping scandal involving at least eight athletes, including the members of the country’s gold-winning relay race team. The sports ministry also directed the Sports Authority of India (SAI) to relieve all foreign coaches attached to these athletes. “I have asked for his removal. He has already been removed,” Maken said referring to Ukrainian athletics coach Yuri Ogrodnik, who is being blamed primarily for the use of banned drugs by the athletes. Maken said the government would take appropriate steps once the inquiry panel, to be headed by a retired high court judge, gives its report. He said the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) would set up increased surveillance on sports persons. He also ordered to set up stricter monitoring facilities at all national training centres. The number of doctors at these centres would also be increased. Maken promised strict action against officials involved in the dope scam. “It is seen that the officials and coaches are left scot-free. So the ministry has decided to take action against officials and coaches alongside the athletes so that such things do not occur in future. I have sought a report from SAI within three days after which we may take action against the erring officials of NIS Patiala also,” Maken said. Golden girls Ashwini Akkunji and Priyanka Panwar had tested positive for anabolic steroid in tests by NADA on Monday. Both of them have been suspended provisionally. Earlier, their relay race team-mate Tiana Mary Thomas had failed a dope test during the national inter-state championships in Bangalore. CWG and Asian Games gold medallist Sini Jose had also flunked dope tests earlier along with top quartermilers Mandeep Kaur and Jauna Murmu, long jumper Hari Krishnan and shot putter Sonia. Ashwini was held back on Monday while she was on her way to Asian Athletics Championship going to begin in Kobe, Japan on July 7. With Ashwini and Priyanka testing positive, India’s chance at winning a medal at 4×400 metre relay event in London Olympics next year seems to have dashed. Seven of the eight athletes have tested positive for methandienone or methandrostenolone, which is an orally-effective anabolic steroid used for muscle growth by bodybuilders. The substance is readily available in various countries without prescription but it is included in the list of prohibited substance of the World Anti- Doping Agency (WADA).advertisementlast_img read more