Jim France follows brother as Le Mans’ starter

first_imgLE MANS, FRANCE (June 22, 2013) — It was cold and blustery Saturday afternoon, the day’s first smattering of rain riding the 30-mph winds as the 24 Hour of Le Mans start neared.Not really the best conditions for racing – or flag-waving, for that matter. But Jim France soldiered on – and held on – taking his place in the starter’s stand with a full-sized French flag. As if inclement weather really mattered on this day, when Jim France got to do what his late brother, Bill France Jr., did in 1976, right here at Le Mans.Now, two Frances have waved the French flag to start the world’s biggest sports car race. It’s unprecedented, this brotherly piece of Le Mans trivia. Flag passed from 1976 starter Bill France Jr. to GRAND-AM Road Racing founder last_img

Chesterfield sale in balance

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

COVID-19 outbreak reduces Super Rugby Aotearoa’s last round

first_img Associated Press Television News Written By FOLLOW US Last Updated: 14th August, 2020 14:56 IST COVID-19 Outbreak Reduces Super Rugby Aotearoa’s Last Round  An outbreak of COVID-19 in New Zealand’s largest city has affected the last round of matches in Super Rugby Aotearoa. WATCH US LIVE LIVE TVcenter_img First Published: 14th August, 2020 14:56 IST  An outbreak of COVID-19 in New Zealand’s largest city has affected the last round of matches in Super Rugby Aotearoa.Sunday’s scheduled match between the Blues and Crusaders, the newly-crowned champions, has been canceled because Auckland will be at lockdown Level 3 under which major sports events are prohibited.The Blues been set to host the Crusaders in front of a crowd of 43,000 at Auckland’s Eden Park.The match between the Highlanders and Hurricanes on Saturday will go ahead without fans at Dunedin’s indoor stadium.Until this week, New Zealand had been one of a few countries in which sports events were able to go ahead with full crowds in stadiums.New Zealand went 102 days without a case of community transmission of COVID-19 until the first of the new Auckland cases were detected.Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Friday that a Level 3 lockdown in Auckland and Level 2 restrictions imposed on the rest of New Zealand in the middle of the week will continue for 12 days. The limited lockdowns were initially imposed for 72 hours and were due to expire Friday.The Auckland outbreak currently involves 29 cases which are thought to be part of a single cluster of related individuals. Ardern said the number of infections is expected to grow and the lockdown has been extended to allow health officials to trace and isolate new cases.The cancellation of the match between the Crusaders and the Blues has no effect on the outcome of the competition. The Christchurch-based Crusaders clinched the title with a round to spare when they beat the Dunedin-based Highlanders last weekend.But the capacity crowd at Eden Park would have been a major financial boost to the hosts. The Blues said earlier this week they might have faced insolvency if Super Rugby Aotearoa matches had not been able to go ahead with crowds. More than 43,000 fans watched the match between the Blues and Hurricanes at Eden Park in the tournament’s opening round.Super Rugby Aotearoa featured New Zealand’s five Super Rugby teams playing each other on a home-and-away basis over a 10-week season, without playoffs. The tournament was hastily organized when the full Super Rugby competition — involving teams from South Africa, Argentina, Australia, Japan and New Zealand — was abandoned in March because of the coronavirus pandemic. SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENTlast_img read more

Jerry Stackhouse in negotiations to become next coach at Vanderbilt, report says

first_img UCLA job search: Jamie Dixon, Mick Cronin emerge as two top candidates, report says Sources: Memphis Grizzlies assistant Jerry Stackhouse is in contract negotiations to become the next head coach at Vanderbilt. Emerged as a primary candidate in the last 24 hours. Nothing final yet, but the two sides are headed towards a marriage.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 1, 2019Stackhouse has been an assistant for both the Raptors and Grizzlies. He led Toronto’s G-League affiliate to a championship in 2017 and was named Coach of the Year that season.Stackhouse told The Ringer  in 2017 that he hoped G-League success would propel him to a head coaching job in the NBA. But he seems to be heading to the college ranks. Kentucky, John Calipari agree to lifetime deal: ‘Where else would I want to coach?’ Related Newscenter_img Vanderbilt appears to have found its next basketball coach.The school is having contract negotiations with Grizzlies assistant Jerry Stackhouse, according to a CBS Sports report, which cites unidentified sources. The 44-year-old was a two-time NBA All-Star during his 18-year career as a player. Now, he’ll focus on improving a Vanderbilt team that finished 0-18 in the SEC last season.The Commodores surprisingly fired former coach Bryce Drew after three seasons in late March.last_img read more