Ocean City Skateboard Park: Latest Design and Site

first_imgDownload (PDF, 416KB)Download (PDF, 539KB) A presentation at a public meeting last week offered details on two of the big questions surrounding the proposed new skateboard park in Ocean City: “Where will it go?” and “What will be there?”The graphics above show the latest plans.Ocean City has $750,000 in hand and a site selected to replace a park that was dismantled in 2011. The project could possibly be complete as early as spring 2015. The meeting was an effort to provide information to the public and to solicit feedback that could help address concerns about the new facility (read more).City Council is expected to consider a bond ordinance authorizing the spending on the project at its meeting on Thursday. WHEREThe proposed 200-by-70-foot concrete would be constructed atop an existing parking lot to the north (toward Fifth Street) of the Ocean City Fire Department and the Ocean City Ecumenical Council Clothes Closet. The new skateboard park in Ocean City, NJ, would be constructed 13 feet to the north of the sidewalk that runs beside the existing Ocean City Ecumenical Council Clothes Closet.A 13-foot buffer area would separate the skate park from the sidewalk that runs beside the Clothes Closet. A large portion of the existing parking lot would remain on the Fifth Street side of the park.The park’s other immediate neighbors are the Ocean City Primary School (across the West Avenue to the west), the Ocean City Tabernacle (across Asbury Avenue to the north) and a commercial property (Gabriel Building Group across Fifth Street to the north).Plans call for trees to surround the park. WHATThe new park design would be constructed of concrete and feature a bowl with extensions, a snake run and other features that would “lean toward the carving culture,” a style of skating more reminiscent of surfing.“Twinkie rollers,” “stairs with Hubbas,” an “A-Frame fun box,” and a quarter pipe are among the design elements.Helmets and pads would be required for anybody who wants to use the park. There would be no fee to use the park, which will be called the Cape May County Skate Park in OCNJ (because a county grant provides $500,000 for the construction of the park).Rules and plans to monitor the park are still being worked out. If bicycles are permitted to use the park, they would be able to do so only at times scheduled separately from skateboarders. Steel pegs on bikes would not be permitted and the park designer recommends against even plastic pegs.An ADA ramp would lead to a small spectator area. READ MOREGroup Zeroes in on Skate Park Site for Ocean CityNIMPS, not NIMBYs, in Ocean City Skate Park DebateOcean City Gets $500,000 Grant for Skateboard Park__________Sign up for OCNJ Daily’s free newsletter and breaking news alerts“Like” us on Facebooklast_img read more

South Jersey Officials Criticize Offshore Drilling Plan

first_imgBy Donald WittkowskiWarning about possible catastrophic impacts to the environment and tourism, a coalition of South Jersey officials on Monday strongly denounced a proposal by President Donald Trump’s administration to open up coastal waters across the country for oil and gas drilling.Calling the plan “ridiculous,” they predicted that New Jersey’s tourism, commercial fishing industry and beaches would eventually be severely harmed by a large-scale oil spill if companies are given final permission by U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to drill offshore.“We don’t want it here, Secretary Zinke. I hope you’re listening,” said Vicki Clark, president of the Cape May County Chamber of Commerce.Clark was among the business, political and environmental leaders who spoke during a press conference held in front of the Ocean City Music Pier on the Boardwalk. The event used the ocean as a backdrop to dramatize what is at stake if an oil spill did occur in New Jersey’s coastal waters.“This is a huge gamble and a huge risk,” said U.S. Rep. Frank LoBiondo, R-2nd, a longtime opponent of offshore drilling and the highest-ranking political leader at the press conference.Gerald Thornton, director of the Cape May County Board of Chosen Freeholders, was the only speaker to directly invoke Trump’s name while criticizing the drilling proposal.Thornton implored Trump to worry more about protecting the U.S. environment and tourism instead of searching the ocean for more oil that could be sold to foreign countries.“Donald Trump, protect our home first,” he said.Cape May County Freeholder Director Gerald Thornton calls on President Donald Trump to protect the U.S. environment and tourism.Thornton noted that Trump’s proposal revives a battle that has raged on since the 1980s. He said he and his fellow freeholders have been overwhelmingly opposed to any plans for offshore drilling since then and will continue their fight now.“We’re talking about billions and billions of dollars that are jeopardized here,” Thornton said, referring to South Jersey’s tourism and commercial fishing industries.Overall, the Jersey Shore accounts for half of New Jersey’s $44 billion annual tourism industry. Cape May County alone contributes $6.3 billion per year in tourism spending, according to figures cited at the press conference.In addition, the port of Cape May produces $71.6 million in annual economic output, making it the second-biggest commercial fishing port on the East Coast and fourth largest in the country, officials said.“There’s a lot at stake here,” LoBiondo said of the potential harm to the commercial fishing industry.“We can’t afford to risk our economy and our home,” Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian tells the crowd.Speaker after speaker at the press conference warned that a devastating, large-scale oil spill is inevitable if drilling is allowed. They said such a spill could cripple the New Jersey seashore communities that depend on their beaches to attract millions of tourists each year.“We can’t afford to risk our economy and our home,” Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian said.“The future of our world depends on making sure that we take care of Mother Earth,” Atlantic City Mayor Frank Gilliam added.Margot Walsh, executive director of the Jersey Shore Partnership, an organization that helps to protect the state’s 127-mile-long coastline, predicted, “We’re not talking about if there would be an oil spill. We are talking about when.”Walsh called the offshore drilling proposal “a frightening idea,” while Clark labeled it a “ridiculous plan.”Cindy Zipf, executive director of Clean Ocean Action, says New Jersey is united in the fight against offshore drilling.Another speaker, Cindy Zipf, executive director of the environmental group Clean Ocean Action, equated offshore drilling to the time when garbage dumps were formerly allowed along the New Jersey coast.Zipf said New Jersey acquired the reputation as the “ocean dumping capital of the world” before the practice ended. She said she believes that the opposition to offshore drilling is just as strong as it was to ocean dumping.“It’s a nonpartisan issue, because the ocean is out there for everyone,” Zipf said.In January, the Interior Department announced a proposal to open up nearly all U.S. offshore waters to oil and gas drilling, igniting a storm of protests from coastal states, environmental groups and the tourism industry nationwide.Trump has argued that offshore drilling could boost the U.S. economy and also reduce the country’s dependence on foreign oil.Officials at the press conference urged opponents of offshore drilling to write letters to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, which is accepting public comment until March 9.Zinke, the Interior secretary, has already ruled out Florida for offshore drilling, citing its potential harm to tourism in the Sunshine State. New Jersey officials seized on Zinke’s action on behalf of Florida to demand the same type of exemption for the Garden State.“Why is Florida more important than New Jersey?” LoBiondo said in an interview after the press conference. “The hue and cry from states on the Gulf Coast, the East Coast and the West Coast that are against offshore drilling is growing louder.”Ocean City’s newly replenished beaches would be threatened if offshore drilling receives final approval, officials warn.While LoBiondo continues to fight in Congress against offshore drilling, New Jersey is looking to use its legislative powers to thwart it, according to state Sen. Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic.“There is no way, no how, we would ever, ever, ever support this,” Van Drew said.Legislation pending in the state Senate and Assembly would allow New Jersey to block oil and gas companies from setting up pipes, rigs and other equipment needed for offshore drilling, Van Drew said.International waters start three miles off the coastline. But New Jersey and other coastal states control the ocean waters within that three-mile boundary, allowing them to throw obstacles in the way of oil and gas companies. California used the same strategy to fight offshore drilling along its coast, Van Drew explained.“It’s the California model, with our own little tweaks,” he said of the New Jersey legislation, which he has sponsored in the Senate.Van Drew was part of a delegation of state lawmakers from Atlantic and Cape May counties who attended the press conference. More than a dozen county and local officials from Atlantic and Cape May counties also showed up.State Sen. Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic, wears one of the patches symbolizing opposition to offshore drilling.Underscoring their unity against coastal drilling, many of the attendees wore patches depicting an offshore oil rig with a red line drawn through it. They said opposition to offshore drilling has resulted in a bipartisan coalition of New Jersey politicians, environmentalists and business groups – and may be strong enough to kill the proposal.“We are one voice and our voice is, ‘Not here in New Jersey. No way,’” Walsh said. A recent picture of U.S. Rep. Frank LoBiondo when he was in town leading a press conference against offshore drilling in New Jersey.last_img read more

No Debate Between Ocean City Mayoral Candidates

first_imgBy Donald WittkowskiMayor Jay Gillian has declined an invitation to debate his election opponent John Flood, citing lawsuits Flood and his son have filed against Ocean City.Flood responded that Gillian “seems awfully shy to talk or answer questions” about his record in office and is using the litigation as an excuse to avoid the debate.The government watchdog group Fairness in Taxes invited both candidates to a 90-minute debate on Friday night at the Ocean City Free Public Library. The League of Women Voters was scheduled to moderate, but withdrew because there would only be one candidate and it would not constitute a real debate.Gillian said he had to decline the invitation based on the advice of his legal counsel about two suits that Flood and his son, Justin, have filed against the city related to housing projects they want to build.“I’d like to thank both Fairness In Taxes and the League of Women Voters for offering to sponsor a mayoral debate. However, because my opponent is involved in two lawsuits against the city, legal counsel has advised me not to participate in the upcoming debate in order to avoid prejudicing the city in the pending litigation. I intend to heed that advice and must respectfully decline the invitation,” Gillian said in a statement.Flood expressed disappointment with Gillian’s decision, saying that “I know our residents will be disappointed too.”“Four years ago, when Jay ran for his first re-election, he declined that debate invitation as well. The mayor wants to run on his record but seems awfully shy to talk or answer questions about it to the public,” Flood said in a statement.John Flood says he is disappointed with the mayor’s decision not to debate him.Gillian, who won election in 2010 and 2014, said he has established an open-door policy with voters during his time in office.“I am confident that the voters are aware of my record, particularly in light of my practice of conducting open town hall meetings over the past eight years,” the mayor said. “As always, any voter who has questions is welcome to contact me for information.”With only two weeks to go before the May 8 municipal election, Flood said he fears voters will never have a chance to see the two candidates square off in a face-to-face debate.“What better way for the community to make a decision than to see them face-to-face giving their views of how the city has been run in the past, present and most importantly their vision for the future? I hope the mayor changes his mind and has the courage to show up as the community deserves nothing less.” Flood said.Flood added that he would be willing not to discuss the lawsuits if that’s what it would take to persuade Gillian to debate him. Despite the mayor’s absence, Flood said he still plans to show up 7 p.m. Friday at the library at the Fairness In Taxes forum to answer questions from the public.Flood said his litigation against the city has nothing to do with his campaign for mayor. His development company, Palmer Center LLC, filed suit after City Council voted in 2016 to revoke a controversial type of housing that has polarized the community and ignited complaints from surrounding neighborhoods.The zoning ordinance approved then by Council eliminated so-called “coastal cottages” from a redevelopment area where they were supposed to be clustered in the center of town along Haven Avenue.Flood has proposed building 10 coastal cottages on property he owns on 16th Street and Haven Avenue.The coastal cottage concept was originally approved by Council in 2013 as a way to create smaller, affordable homes that would attract more year-round residents, particularly younger families, to Ocean City.However, the lone coastal cottage project that was built on Haven Avenue was shadowed by complaints that it exacerbated flooding, parking and overcrowding problems in surrounding neighborhoods. In response to those complaints, Council voted to revoke coastal cottages from the Haven Avenue development corridor.Flood’s suit seeks a court order overturning the Council vote, according to City Solicitor Dorothy McCrosson.Justin Flood, John Flood’s son, has also filed a lawsuit against the city over a housing project he plans to build.Meanwhile, Flood’s son, Justin, is suing the city over a 110-unit, multifamily development he has proposed on Eighth Street near the Boardwalk. Related to Justin Flood’s project on Eighth Street is his offer to build affordable housing on 16th Street, McCrosson said.McCrosson said the proposed site for Justin Flood’s affordable housing project is owned by John Flood, which links the mayoral candidate to the second lawsuit filed against Ocean City.The city has filed for a declaratory judgment in Superior Court asking for confirmation of its proposed plan to meet its state-mandated affordable housing obligations. However, Justin Flood has filed a motion to intervene in the city’s request for declaratory judgment because of his plans to build affordable housing on 16th Street.McCrosson said Justin Flood, through his company Flood Development LLC, has offered to develop affordable housing on 16th Street in exchange for approvals for his 110-unit project on Eighth Street at market prices. She said the number of affordable housing units he has proposed would equate to 15 percent of his larger project.last_img read more

Injured puppy found in Letterkenny – do you know who owns him?

first_imgThis tiny puppy was found abandoned in Letterkenny this evening.He appears to be injured and was found running around in distress at the entrance to Ceanainn View, Carnamuggagh Upper, Letterkenny this evening at 6pm.If you know who owns this puppy please don’t hesitate to contact Donegal Daily at i[email protected] or send us a message on Facebook. Injured puppy found in Letterkenny – do you know who owns him? was last modified: December 1st, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:appealfoundletterkennylostmissingpuppylast_img read more