City Council votes 7-0 to introduce an ordinance banning marijuana and hashish sales in Ocean City. By DONALD WITTKOWSKIOcean City was founded by Methodist ministers in 1879 as a “dry” resort town that bans the sale of alcohol. Now, the city wants to ban the sale of marijuana in the aftermath of New Jersey’s legalization of cannabis last month.Voting 7-0, City Council introduced an ordinance Thursday night that would prohibit businesses that cultivate, manufacture, test or sell marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia.The measure would ban marijuana facilities within one-quarter mile of a school, church, recreational or sports facility, the Boardwalk and any residential area. It would effectively outlaw businesses from selling marijuana, hashish or pot paraphernalia in all parts of town.“The Mayor and City Council believe there is no area of the city which can safely house a business selling marijuana, cannabis or hashish or the paraphernalia that facilitates use of the same,” the ordinance says.The ordinance is scheduled for a public hearing and final vote at the April 8 Council meeting. It will also be reviewed by the city’s zoning board to make sure it is consistent with local zoning laws.There was little discussion Thursday night during the ordinance’s introduction. However, the Council members joined with Mayor Jay Gillian at the governing body’s Feb. 25 meeting to strongly denounce the state’s legalization of recreational marijuana, saying it was nothing short of “insanity.”“It’s just ridiculous. I just can’t fathom this,” Gillian said at the Feb. 25 meeting amid unanimous agreement from the Council members.At one point, Gillian bluntly added, “This disgusts me.”On Feb. 22, Gov. Phil Murphy signed three bills to legalize pot for adults 21 and older and to decriminalize it for people under 21.From the start, Ocean City’s Council has objected to marijuana’s legalization, passing an ordinance in 2019 to ban the sale of pot in a town that bills itself as “America’s Greatest Family Resort.” At that time, the governor and state Legislature were discussing the possibility of legalizing marijuana.City Solicitor Dorothy McCrosson explained that the 2019 ordinance became invalid once New Jersey formally legalized cannabis. However, the new state legislation gives municipalities 180 days to reinstate their prohibition of marijuana sales.A small audience inside the Ocean City High School auditorium observes social distancing requirements in the first City Council meeting since Nov. 5 to allow in-person attendance.As a “dry” town, Ocean City has banned alcohol sales since its founding as a Christian resort. The ban on alcohol sales is a centerpiece of the city’s image as a safe, family-style summer vacation retreat.Council members have expressed concerns that the city’s family-friendly reputation could be harmed if marijuana is sold in town and people simply begin smoking pot in popular tourist areas, such as the Boardwalk.“I’m 1,000 percent zero tolerance on this,” City Council President Bob Barr said at Feb. 25 meeting of his opposition to legal recreational marijuana.Murphy and other marijuana advocates say the drug’s legalization in New Jersey will end the injustice of blacks being arrested for possession of pot at higher rates than whites.During Thursday’s meeting, an official with a labor union that represents cannabis workers urged Council to reconsider its proposed ban on marijuana sales. He said the cannabis industry will be a critical source of jobs for New Jersey workers in years to come.Hugh Giordano, a representative of Local 152 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, also asked Council to allow the sale of medical marijuana at Ocean City pharmacies.Two New Jersey residents who live outside Ocean City made similar appeals to Council. Both of them said they use medical marijuana and would like to have a pharmacy or cannabis dispensary they could stop at when they visit Ocean City.For the first time since Nov. 5, members of the public were allowed to attend the Council meeting, which took place in the Ocean City High School auditorium. Only about 20 people were in the audience, and they were required to follow COVID-related social distancing regulations. The meeting was also carried on Zoom.At times during the meeting there were technical difficulties and members of the public wishing to speak on Zoom could not be heard. During a portion of the meeting the Council members and other city officials on the auditorium stage were inexplicably muted.Michael Allegretto, aide to the mayor, informed City Council and the public that the Zoom meeting was hacked. No one else was allowed into the Zoom meeting until the hacking was cleared up later on.Mayor Jay Gillian, center, reads his annual State of the City address during the Council meeting.Also Thursday, Gillian delivered his annual State of the City address and unveiled the proposed 2021 municipal operating budget.The mayor recapped the health and economic challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, but stressed that “Ocean City survived a very difficult year.”“We were very careful, and we protected the health of our citizens and our budget,” he said in his address.Due to revenue shortfalls caused by the pandemic, the proposed $87.4 million budget calls for a 2.2 cent increase in the local property tax rate. That would translate into an extra $110 annually in taxes on a home assessed at $500,000.Gillian, though, indicated that the budget could change dramatically because of $7 million in municipal aid Ocean City expects to receive from the $1.9 trillion COVID relief package signed into law Thursday by President Joe Biden.“This could entirely change our budget and proposed tax rate,” the mayor said.He added, “It is a statutory requirement for me to present this budget today, but the plan will change once we learn more about the aid package. This will be good news for our taxpayers.”In an interview after the meeting, Ocean City Chief Financial Officer Frank Donato explained that details of the stimulus aid are expected to become clearer in coming days, including just how much of the $7 million the city would be able to use for the budget.
201-205 Monaco St, which sold for $9.5 million.Ms Halpin started with Queensland Sotheby’s International Realty last month and will open the north Gold Coast, of which she will be director and principal, in spring.“I knew the Sotheby’s brand well from England, where I’m originally from, and also in Dubai where I lived for 12 years and owned and managed my own real estate business,” she said.“I’m looking forward to introducing clients to the international experience that Sotheby’s International Realty offers.”Queensland Sotheby’s International Realty CEO Paul Arthur said the office would service Mount Tamborine, Hope Island, Sanctuary Cove, Sovereign Island and south along the Broadwater to Runaway Bay. Paul Arthur (CEO), Deanne Arthur (CMO) and Lisa Halpin, Sotheby’s International Realty.FORMER Savills real estate agent Lisa Halpin is set to head up Queensland Sotheby’s International Realty’s new north Gold Coast office.Ms Halpin started working within the Gold Coast real estate industry five years ago.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa19 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoShe was part of the marketing team who sold 201-205 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters for $9.5 million.
“One area we’re specifically looking for input on is to help us inform the criteria for the site selection of the onshore substation area, close to the Norwich Main substation, as well as feedback to assist us in refining the detail of the onshore cable route from Weybourne to the substation site.” The second phase will be held in spring 2021 when the company will present its refined plans, invite comments to the Preliminary Environmental Report (PEIR) and provide additional information including visualizations of what the projects will look like onshore and from the coast. Equinor plans to submit the Development Consent Order (DCO) application by the end of 2021. Equinor said it had developed a range of options online and via dedicated communications lines due to the current social distancing practice to invite feedback and ensure that all interested parties have access to the information. They are being developed as one project with an integrated grid option. Cables from the extension projects will come ashore at Weybourne, before being installed in a trench heading south towards a new onshore substation, near to the existing National Grid Norwich Main Substation. Equinor has launched the community consultation period for the Sheringham Shoal and Dudgeon offshore wind extension projects off the North Norfolk coast in the UK. The Dudgeon and Sheringham Shoal extensions are two of the seven offshore wind extension projects that the Crown Estate selected in August 2019 following a plan level Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA). “It’s really important to us to hear from the community at this early stage of the project, so that we can consider feedback from the local people as the projects develop,” said Kari Hege Mørk, Project Manager at Equinor. This first phase will run from 9 July to 20 August, and feedback is sought for the location of the onshore substation, the underground onshore cable route and any lessons that can be taken from the earlier construction of the Sheringham Shoal and Dudgeon offshore wind farms. After completing this first phase of consultations, Equinor will publish a report summarising the feedback received and how this is being considered.
Now Everton will seek to reward the long-serving defender with a new contract in order to fend off further approaches. Baines’ attitude in not angling for a move throughout undoubtedly strengthened the club’s stance, and while Martinez refused to confirm reports Fellaini had handed in a late transfer request, he stressed the final decision was always his. “Everything was done on our terms and that’s what is important,” said the Spaniard. “The contractual situation of Marouane was quite straightforward: his (buy-out) clause expired on July 31 and from that point on the valuation was completely different and he had a premium on top. “More and more you realise that the club make decisions on what is best for the club. “If you are contracted to the club whatever the player says counts for very little. If it is not the right terms it is not going to happen. “We don’t have to sell players and we are in a position where unless clubs meet the player’s valuation there will never be a decision made – that was the case with Leighton. “It is never a good time to lose important players – and Marouane was a big performer – but with the manner we handled it we ended up with a good squad with more variety and with a focus not just on the present but for the future.” Martinez is keen for Baines to play a crucial part in both and with that in mind will seek to reward him with a contract which matches his status. “Leighton is a vital player for us. We couldn’t replace a player like him,” the Toffees boss added. “No-one met his valuation so we are delighted he is still with us and we now need to make sure he understands how important he is for the club. “You are looking for that football happiness and I can guarantee everyone Leighton will enjoy his football and role at the club. “He’s been an outstanding performer for Everton for years and now clearly he’s at the peak of his career and we’re going to make sure he feels that warmth from the football club. “What is important is to show him how much we want him and sometimes you have to do it with actions as well as words and that is going to be the case. “Sometimes that needs to be rewarded from a contractual point of view and we will do that. “From our point of view we are making sure we are ready for the competition ahead with one of the most influential players in the history of Everton. “It’s vital for the future and for the plans we have at the club.” While Martinez has Baines pencilled in to his long-term plans the loan signing of Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku is a player – initially at least – for this campaign only. The Belgium striker had an impressive spell on loan at West Brom last season and his arrival at Goodison Park has added a different threat up front. “Romelu has been in the British game for a while and he had a massive impact last season, to score 17 goals in this league is not an easy task,” Martinez said. “He is only 20 and can do anything: powerful, strong, direct with his running and he is a clinical finisher. “It is very difficult to find a weakness in the player and that is why we are very excited to see him. “All we want is for him to fulfil his potential at Everton and make sure he has an outstanding campaign before the World Cup.” Everton manager Roberto Martinez insisted his club would not be bullied by players or other clubs in the transfer window as he reflected on a successful summer of business. Press Association The Spaniard let midfielder Marouane Fellaini leave at the last minute after Manchester United paid £27.5million – £4million more than a recently expired buy-out clause – but held on to England defender Leighton Baines. Martinez felt it was vitally important they rebuffed United’s attempts to land the left-back but conceded it was easy as they failed to go close to meeting Everton’s valuation after a couple of failed bids considered well below the 28-year-old’s true worth.
Top Stories Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling “It was rough, you never want to see anyone go down, but a guy like A.Q. who’s been around the league for so long, it’s hard. It’s hard when anyone goes down.”Cole had been working mostly with the second-string offense before the injury to Shipley. And while no team ever wants to lose their primary center, the Cardinal veterans have voiced their confidence in the young lineman, Cole said.Just like Shipley, Cole brings durability.The center has made 104 consecutive starts between his high school days and his time as a Michigan Wolverine under former NFL coach Jim Harbaugh.“I think I’ve had enough experiences in college football and I’ve got the right mindset and I’m confident I can do the job,” Cole said.It will be a tough task to fill Shipley’s shoes, however, as the six-year pro missed just two snaps over the last two seasons.But even with the confidence, Cole knows not everything might go as planned when he faces off against the Los Angeles Chargers in the first week of preseason.“For me, I know there’s going to be some learning experiences in that game, my first time playing in the in an NFL game,” Cole said. “But like I said, [I’m] not trying to overthink anything. Just going out there and remembering that this is just a game and we’re playing football and you have to go out there and do everything you can. Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact Arizona Cardinals’ Mason Cole (64) hits Greg Pyke (68) during practice at the NFL football team’s training camp, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York) The Arizona Cardinals suffered a massive blow to its morale and offensive line when starting center A.Q. Shipley suffered a torn ACL.With the next-man-up mentality now in full swing, backup center Mason Cole is ready to take over in the trenches.“It’s part of the game, obviously you don’t want it to happen, but stuff like this happens in this game and you have to be prepared,” Cole told Bickley & Marotta on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station on Wednesday. “Going into this thing I knew A.Q. was going to be the guy for center, but that’s why they brought me in to have depth at the offensive line and my opportunity just came before I thought it would. Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires As for the plan of attack for Week 1 of preseason, Cole is going to be eased in.“I think just gameplan wise, they’re trying to not make it as complicated for me, just trying to set up the offense so we know what kind of defense we’re going to get, which I think has been huge for me so far,” Cole said. “We get so many different looks from our defense so that’s also been great.“[I’m] kind of taking more responsibility of learning the offense even more in depth, and like I said, the veterans have been right there with me so it’s been really good.”The Cardinals face off against the Chargers Saturday at 7:00 p.m. You can catch all the action on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station. 2 Comments Share The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo