ABS-CBN unlikely to secure new franchise even after Duterte’s term

first_imgThe move will ensure that the network will remain off air since the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) ordered it to “cease and desist” its free TV and radio channels on May 5. According to Marcoleta, the frequency previously assigned to ABS-CBN might no longer be available come 2022 as the government will likely give it to a “more deserving” applicant. “You’re assuming that the franchise will be up to 2022. Paano kung mayroon nang binigyan ang gobyerno? Kanino pa ibibigay ‘yun? Anong franchise pa ang ibibigay mo sa kanya?” said the SAGIP partylist representative. Based on its guidelines, the NTC does not bid out frequencies for digital terrestrial television broadcast service but assigned it out based on availability. It is being based on the legal, technical and financial capacity and feasibility of the franchise owner./PN In a report by Politiko website over the weekend, it said that the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) and the Manila Broadcasting Corp. have the best odds of landing the frequency of ABS-CBN.center_img MANILA – ABS-CBN Corp. is unlikely to secure a fresh 25-year legislative franchise even after the term of President Rodrigo Duterte, House of Representatives Deputy Speaker Rodante Marcoleta said. Voting 70-11 with two inhibitions and an abstention, a joint panel at the House of Representatives rejected a bill seeking the renewal of the network’s congressional franchise, which expired on May 4. “I cannot speculate. It’s up to them [ABS-CBN] what’s their next move. As for them filing another bill, there’s no way. Why would you process the application from the same organization when it was rejected already?” Marcoleta added.last_img read more

Iheanacho sends Leicester into FA Cup fifth round

first_imgRelatedPosts FA Cup replays scrapped in 2020-21 to ease fixture pressure Fenerbahce offers Iheanacho N5b loan deal Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final A much-changed Leicester side progressed into the fifth round of the FA Cup thanks to an early strike by Kelechi Iheanacho at Brentford. Brendan Rodgers called upon the former Manchester City striker with Jamie Vardy injured and he delivered to keep them on course for silverware in two competitions this season. Next up for the Foxes is a Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Aston Villa and they go into it after this 1-0 win where most of their regulars were rested. Thomas Frank also made various changes with Brentford in Championship action against play-off rivals Nottingham Forest on Tuesday and saw his young XI struggle early on before pushing the Premier League outfit all the way. In total 18 changes were made by both clubs – nine each – but it did not dampen the spirits of the home fans, who belted out a rendition of Hey Jude by the Beatles prior to kick-off. Vardy was absent with a glute injury so Iheanacho replaced him up front and he put Ayoze Perez through on goal inside 20 seconds, but a superb clearance from Luka Racic stopped a certain opener with Luke Daniels rounded by Leicester’s number 17. This was brief respite for Brentford because in the fourth minute the breakthrough occurred following a slick move. Dennis Praet was afforded too much space in midfield and produced an exquisite crossfield ball across the floor out to James Justin and he crossed in for Iheanacho to open the scoring with his seventh goal of the season. It could have been two for Vardy’s deputy with quarter of an hour gone, but Daniels was able to block well before Brentford created an opportunity of their own a minute later. Jan Zamburek found Emiliano Marcondes inside the area and yet the hero of the third-round win over Stoke could only fire into the side-netting. Brentford were boosted by the chance and produced another excellent move in the 20th minute with Dru Yearwood involved, but Halil Dervisouglu curled wide after some neat footwork and the promising opening had been wasted. Frank’s young side, with six players aged 20 or below, stuck to their principles of playing out from the back although they were reminded of Leicester’s threat when Perez was brilliantly denied by Daniels just before half-time and Marc Albrighton headed the rebound over. One of Brentford’s regulars, Kamohelo Mokotjo, was forced off with an injury at the break and replaced by fellow usual starter Josh Dasilva. It was the fringe players who very nearly fashioned the equaliser with 62 on the clock, but the woodwork saved Leicester. Marcondes whipped in a delightful cross, which Dervisouglu got the faintest of touches to and yet he saw his effort hit the post and Christian Fuchs managed to clear the danger at the back post. The substitution of Iheanacho with 22 minutes left at Griffin Park further highlighted the Foxes priority this week being the Carabao Cup semi-final second leg away to Aston Villa on Tuesday. Midfielder Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall was introduced in his place, with Rodgers eager for his side to see out the final exchanges with no last gasp scares. He did not get his wish with Marcondes’ corner finding Racic and the defender volleying towards goal, but fortunately for the visitors Danny Ward produced a strong hand to tip the effort over. Frank’s final roll of the dice was to bring on 11-goal man Bryan Mbeumo and he did find the net, but he was correctly ruled to be offside and Griffin Park bid farewell to the FA Cup after a 1-0 loss to Leicester, with Brentford set to move into their new stadium in the summer.Tags: Ayoze PerezBrentfordFA CupKelechi IheanachoLuka Raciclast_img read more

IHOC : Inability to score goals has led to Syracuse’s struggles in CHA play

first_imgWhen Isabel Menard left Syracuse after last season, she left a gaping hole in the top line of the Orange’s attack.And head coach Paul Flanagan has naturally relied on his experienced upperclassmen to fill the void, a daunting task given the team’s abundance of freshman players.‘We were in a hole right away. It’s like your losing players to free agency,’ Flanagan said. ‘There were a couple of younger players that we felt could have done more, and even the upperclassmen could have played better. So I think the disappointment is in that some of the kids didn’t pick up the slack.’The Orange’s lack of offensive production this season limited its success against conference opponents. And it has showed as Syracuse (9-20-3, 0-7-3 College Hockey America) sits in the cellar of the CHA standings. SU’s inability to capitalize on goal-scoring chances placed an enormous amount of pressure on the defensive unit, which struggled to go blow-for-blow with more talented opponents. If the Orange has any hope of advancing in the conference tournament, it will need timely offensive contributions from players who have underperformed.Menard’s absence from the SU lineup played a pivotal role as Flanagan tried to rally his troops before the start of this season. As a sophomore, Menard was an offensive force, accounting for more than 20 percent of the Orange offense and leading the team in goals, assists and points.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textJunior forward Holly Carrie-Mattimoe said the team lost some flow in chemistry because of Menard’s decision to leave the program. That lack of rhythm carried over to the ice, where Syracuse struggled to put points on the board all season long.‘We were a little apprehensive because we had some unknowns coming into the year,’ Flanagan said. ‘The unknown was finding someone to fill that gap on offense.’With Menard gone, Syracuse leaned heavily on Carrie-Mattimoe and sophomore Margot Scharfe. The lack of threats around them led to inconsistencies for the offense as SU looked upon its best weapons to help carry the team.Instead of spreading the offense and generating better opportunities by moving the puck around, the offense stalled.Besides providing Syracuse with a talented goal scorer, Menard also created chances for other players on the team.This season, though, SU has whiffed when it comes to capitalizing on crucial goal-scoring chances. The Orange took numerous opponents down to the wire, but it couldn’t step up during crunch time.SU struggled to a 1-2-3 record in overtime games.‘We’ve struggled so much this season with capitalizing on an open net,’ Megan Skelly said. ‘If you take away all those ties, if you can capitalize those (ties) into wins, it makes a huge difference in points, and that’s been very frustrating for us.’Back on Jan. 20, SU skated to a 3-3 tie with Niagara at Tennity Ice Pavilion. And although the Orange rallied in the third period to even the score, it missed a game-changing opportunity.With a two-on-one breakaway that would have ended the game, Syracuse didn’t close the deal and settled for a tie with the Purple Eagles.Flanagan said those missed chances coupled with a poor percentage on the power play attack hampered Syracuse’s offensive attack and led to the frustrating season.When the Orange travels to face Niagara this weekend with CHA tournament seeding on the line, it will need to start taking more shots on net to put itself in a better position late in games.‘This time of year, you need to find a way to win games. But we seem to find ways to lose those tight games,’ Flanagan said. ‘We have to start making things happen.’[email protected]  Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 20, 2012 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Commentslast_img read more