Blind people in Greater Jakarta struggling to get social aid during pandemic

first_imgBlind and visually impaired people in Greater Jakarta are vulnerable during the COVID-19 pandemic as they have yet to be included on the government’s list of those at risk from the virus, according to members of the Indonesian Blind Union (Pertuni).These people, mainly working as masseurs and cracker sellers, are calling on the central and regional administration to include them on the risk list as they have been unable to receive social aid in some areas.In Jakarta, for example, the blind have not yet received the social aid packages consisting of staple foods, cloth masks and soap that have been distributed by the city administration since April 9.”The city’s Social Affairs Agency told the disability organizations that it had distributed the packages to ojol [app-based motorcycle taxi] drivers and other poor groups,” Eka Setiawan of Jakarta Pertuni said on Friday.Eka further said they had been told they would receive packaged meals, instead of the aid packages. He assumed that the agency did not have a social aid quota for the disabled despite having submitted their data to the agency long before the implementation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in the city.Read also: COVID-19: State Palace braces for social unrest”If it happens in the capital city, how about in other regions?” he said.The next phase of the distribution in Jakarta will run from April 19 to 23. However, Eka said the blind had not yet received any news about this.A similar situation has also occurred in South Tangerang. The blind are struggling to get social assistance as the local administration does not provide a special quota for people with disabilities.”Our members have tried to register with several subdistricts but they have been rejected. The quota is only available for workers with daily income. In the meantime we, the blind, are relying on daily income too,” South Tangerang Pertuni’s Sapto Wibowo told The Jakarta Post on Friday.Read also: COVID-19: Govt to provide Rp 4.5t in social assistance to millions of low-income people in JakartaBoth Eka and Sapto said some members of the public had supported some of the blind people in the two regions, mainly in the form of food and cash. However, many are still in need of social aid.Sapto added that most of them were mainly in need of financial assistance as they were renting places to live. “We need money to pay rent and buy mobile phone data packages. And although some have received staple food packages, some others still need it.”Topics :last_img read more

THE YEAR IN PICTURES: Hancock County magic takes over Cross Insurance Center

first_imgBANGOR — No matter which Hancock County basketball team was competing on the Cross Insurance Center floor, the drama of tournament time was at its peak.Local teams delivered thrilling moments from the opening game, a 71-48 Ellsworth win over Mount Desert Island. That game saw the Eagles snap a streak of six straight double-digit losses to the Trojans, and the fun was only beginning.In the Class C boys’ ranks, one of the upsets of the year came courtesy of the Sumner Tigers, who got a basket from Colby Lee with one second left to top No. 1 Central Aroostook 54-53. The Class C bracket also marked the end of an incredible run for the George Stevens Academy boys, but not before GSA rolled past Calais and topped Mattanawcook Academy in overtime.On the girls’ side, MDI claimed the Class B North title with wins over Maine Central Institute, Winslow and Waterville before falling to Gray-New Gloucester in the state title game. The Trojans’ overtime win over Winslow in the regional semifinals came after Julia Watras hit a 3-pointer to tie the game as time expired in regulation.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textIn Class D, the Deer Isle-Stonington girls made it all the way to the regional final despite missing their top scorer, Rylee Eaton. The Mariners eased past Ashland and handed Woodland its only Class D loss of the year before falling to Southern Aroostook.last_img read more

Indian fast-bowler Ishant Sharma trolls wife on Team India’s Instagram post

first_imgNew Delhi: Indian fast-bowler Ishant Sharma has hilariously trolled wife Pratima on a post shared on Team India’s Instagram handle.In the post, fans were asked to guess the four bowlers in the collage as the identities of the bowlers were kept hidden.Team India’s post read: “Guess these four Team India bowlers.”The photos were that of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma and Ravichandran Ashwin. Pratima mistook Ashwin for pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah and got hilariously trolled by her husband.“Pratima, Bumrah is a fast-bowler. I thought you knew that much,” wrote Ishant.In normal circumstances, Ishant would currently be playing for Delhi Capitals in the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) but due to coronavirus pandemic the tournament stands indefinitely postponed.Earlier, Ishant and Pratima did their part in the fight againstOV COVID-19 as they made significant contributions towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s relief fund.“Pratima Singh and I are humbled to contribute to the PMCARES fund! All of us stand together in battling the global pandemic! We did our part and request you to do the same. Small donations make a big difference!” he wrote on his Twitter handle. (IANS)Also Read: Jason Gillespie hails Ishant Sharma ’s desire to learn, improve and get betterAlso Watch: War against COVID-19: Assam Health Department signs 22 MoUs with private hospitals in Silcharlast_img read more

The Latest: Ravens tell ticket holders no seats this year

first_imgThe Chicago White Sox are giving fans the opportunity to purchase cardboard cutouts of themselves that will be displayed at Guaranteed Rate Field during the team’s season-opening homestand.The cutouts cost $49 and will be available while supplies last. Proceeds will benefit the team’s charitable arm.The White Sox open with a three-game series against the Minnesota Twins starting on July 24.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Northwestern’s game against Wisconsin scheduled for Nov. 7 at Wrigley Field is being moved on campus to Ryan Field because of uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic.Northwestern announced the decision Wednesday after consulting with the Chicago Cubs, state and local authorities and the Big Ten Conference. Athletic director Jim Phillips cited the possibility of a limited crowd at the famed ballpark even if fans were allowed. He called it “a disappointing conclusion to reach” and said the Wildcats hope to play there again “with a packed house.”In 2010, Northwestern played Illinois in the first college football game at Wrigley Field since 1938. The Wildcats have since played baseball and lacrosse games there.___ The team kept Reyes away from Progressive Field as a precaution after he attended a holiday gathering without wearing a mask. The Indians learned of Reyes’ off-field actions from social media.Manager Terry Francona says Reyes was re-tested for the coronavirus and may now participate in training camp. He is scheduled to take batting practice Wednesday and speak to the media on Thursday.Also, Indians outfielder Delino DeShields Jr., who tested positive for COVID-19, is traveling to Cleveland after he had one negative test. The team says DeShields experience minor symptoms from the virus. He’ll be tested again when he arrives and can rejoin his teammates as long as he doesn’t test positive again.DeShields is in his first season with the Indians, who acquired him in December from Texas in the trade involving ace Corey Kluber.___ Stanford has announced it’s eliminating 11 varsity sports programs after the 2020-21 academic year.Programs affected include men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling. The university is the first Power Five school to cut any sports programs. It also said Wednesday that it’s eliminating the jobs of 20 support staff as part of the realignment. ___Cleveland Indians outfielder Franmil Reyes has been cleared by the team’s medical staff to return to the field after being isolated for attending a party over the July Fourth weekend. Associated Press The Latest: Ravens tell ticket holders no seats this year July 8, 2020 The team says season ticket holders will be offered the same seats in 2021, and money already spent for this season can be used for next year or refunded upon request.Because of the coronavirus pandemic, NFL games this season are expected to be held without fans or in front of a greatly reduced audience.According to an email sent Wednesday by the Ravens to the owners of Personal Seat Licenses, the team speculated that stadium capacity — if fans are allowed — would be fewer than 14,000 seats per game.If fans are permitted to attend, seats would be sold on a game-by-game basis with season ticket holders receiving a priority opportunity to purchase in advance of any public sale.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Baltimore Ravens have informed season ticket holders that their seats will not available this year.last_img read more