Indiana now has 24 confirmed COVID-19 cases

first_img Previous articleMichigan governor closes restaurants to dine-in customersNext articleIN Gov. Holcomb halts in-person dining, advises postponement of some surgical procedures Carl Stutsman Indiana now has 24 confirmed COVID-19 cases Pinterest Google+ Twitter Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp A couple wear face masks to protect against the Coronavirus outbreak as they visit Buckingham Palace in London, Saturday, March 14, 2020. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein) The number of confirmed Coronavirus cases in Indiana is now up to 24, when updated on Sunday there were 19 confirmed cases. So far the state has tested 139 people and no deaths have been reported.With the latest update there are no new cases in Michiana, and Marion County has the largest concentration with 7 confirmed cases. They update the numbers daily at 10 am EST.Get the latest numbers here By Carl Stutsman – March 16, 2020 0 476 CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Google+ WhatsApp Facebook Facebooklast_img read more

Uncooperative Bacolod PUMs face charges

first_imgHe gave an ultimatum to the PUMs to coordinate with the CHOor the Barangay Health Emergency Response Team or they would be publicly named. Some could be held liable for “multiple violations” such asnon-cooperation under the law on mandatory reporting of notifiable diseases andthe quarantine law, and resistance and disobedience to a person in authority,according to CLO head Joselito Bayatan. “Not follow the national policy in the time of COVID-19crisis is already a violation” Bayatan pointed out. As of April 6’s record of the CHO, Bacolod City had 2,355PUMs; of these, 1,974  already completedthe mandatory 14-day home quarantine./PN BACOLOD City – Persons under monitoring (PUMs) who defy quarantine rules for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) will be file with appropriate charges, the City Legal Office (CLO) here warned.  Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran announced that most of the PUMsearlier tagged “nowhere to be found” were now coordinating with his office andthe City Health Office (CHO). Familiaran said he was subsequently flooded with textmessages from PUMs, including those who were not yet issued clearances by theCHO after completing their 14-day home quarantine.last_img read more

DONEGAL MAN IN AUSTRALIA TOLD TO PAY CASH TO NOSE-BREAK ASSAULT VICTIM – JUDGE SAYS DRINK WAS AGGRAVATING FACTOR

first_imgA CO DONEGAL man now living in Australia has been ordered to pay €4,000 to a man he assaulted in a completely unprovoked attack.Richard Joseph Doherty (pictured right) didn’t return to Ireland to appear at Falcarragh District Court to answer the assault charges, but had instructed a solicitor to enter a ‘guilty’ plea on his behalf.And the case started a legal debate, with the presiding District Court judge saying that if he was making laws, he’d argue to make the consumption of drink an aggravating factor in cases rather than a mitigating one. Judge Conal Gibbons also remarked about how Doherty, from Derryreel but now living in Perth, hadn’t appeared before the court in person whilst his victim, Carrigart man Ferghal Doherty had done so.Gda Brendan O’Connor told the court, sitting in Letterkenny that a fight broke out outside a nightclub in Dunfanaghy in the early hours of December 5, 2010.“The injured party and friends were attacked by another group of youths. The injured party had no part in the aggression whatsoever and was entirely innocent,” said Gda O’Connor.“He was struck in the face twice. The incident was viewed by me, the injured party and the accused on CCTV and the accused readily admitted his involvement.”Ferghal Doherty had suffered a broken nose in the incident, said the Garda, and required hospital treatment in both Letterkenny and in Sligo.Richard Doherty’s solicitor Fiona Brown, in mitigation, said that her client had left Ireland in October 2011. He was now working as a plasterer in Perth, Western Australia.He had been in bother before, she said, but this was mainly road traffic offences with one public order conviction.“His behaviour was shocking,” said Judge Gibbons.“I suppose this was about geographical areas? – two different parishes? – are we going back to that? it is quite outrageous.”The judge asked Ferghal Doherty about his injuries.“I got over it anyway,” said the victim.Judge Gibbons said it was “an appalling state of affairs that someone can go out and do this to someone completely innocent.“This speaks volumes about the modern age.Commenting on Richard Doherty’s presence in Perth and not before the court in Letterkenny, the judge said: “There was a time when people sere went to Australia after a court case, not before a case appears before the court.”The judge went on: “In every town where there is entertainment at a nightclub or a large pub, these places have to have very big individuals suitably attired (bouncers) standing outside maintaining order. We are supposed to be progressing and evolving as human beings.“If you spend time in court you would take serious issue with the theory of evolution.”When the solicitor said her client had consumed drink on the night in question, Judge Gibbons said: “The problem is with the human, not the drink.“Your client has to lift it up and put it to his mouth. The drink was voluntarily taken by the client. Drink is an aggravating factor and not a mitigating factor.“If I was writing laws in this country, I would amend the legislation to state that fact – that the court would see drinking as an aggravating factor.“I’m very disturbed by your client’s behaviour. I understand that Irish people have to go abroad but if he behaved like this in Australia they wouldn’t tolerate it; in fact most progressive countries would not tolerate it“Drink is an inert substance. The problem is not the drink – it’s mixing the drink with the human.”Judge Gibbons used District Court powers to order Richard Doherty to pay Ferghal Doherty €4,000 in compensation for his injuries plus €800 medical expenses. He was also ordered to pay €234 State costs.He was also fined a total of €350. Richard Doherty will be imprisoned for a total of 104 days if he fails to pay.If he wishes to appeal the case he must put up a cash surety of €2,000.“I hope you are none the worse for the awful event that happened to you,” Judge Gibbons told victim Ferghal Doherty.It’s understood Richard Doherty could now be thrown out of Australia if he fails to pay the compensation and fines and Gardai report that to the Australia authorities.DONEGAL MAN IN AUSTRALIA TOLD TO PAY CASH TO NOSE-BREAK ASSAULT VICTIM – JUDGE SAYS DRINK WAS AGGRAVATING FACTOR was last modified: April 19th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more