Foxes bite back to take point

first_img Press Association But back came Leicester and within two minutes they were level. The Foxes had already demonstrated their threat from set-pieces and, when Everton failed to clear a corner, record-signing Ulloa repaid some of his transfer fee with a well-struck shot from the middle of the box. Two minutes later Everton thought they had gone back ahead when Baines set up Naismith, but the ball looked to have clearly gone behind before the defender played it. Baines was a real thorn in Leicester’s side and he wanted a penalty after going down in the area under pressure from Knockaert, but referee Mike Jones decided any contact had been accidental. Everton began to gradually assert their dominance as the half went on and Schmeichel was relieved to see shots from McGeady and Naismith both miss the target. But with the 45 minutes almost up, Naismith put the visitors back in front. Baines and Steven Pienaar helped the ball in from the left and Naismith wrapped his left foot around it, sending a shot crashing in off the bar. Leicester needed to respond at the start of the second half and they did, with Riyad Mahrez’s header forcing Everton into a hasty clearance. Ulloa should then have done better with a free header from Paul Konchesky’s cross, but the clear-cut chance they were looking for came in the 65th minute. Unfortunately for Leicester, it fell for Jeff Schlupp, who had just come on as a substitute. Dean Hammond’s through-ball was perfectly weighted, but Schlupp got his shot all wrong and it flew a long way over the bar. Mahrez was the next to try his luck, winning a free-kick 25 yards out for a trip by James McCarthy and then seeing it deflected just wide. Ulloa’s debut ended when he was brought off to loud cheers in the 78th minute and replaced by Wood. Gareth Barry, who had picked up a soft booking for a foul on Ulloa, was a little fortunate to stay on the pitch when he pulled back the lively Mahrez. And it was Mahrez who set up the equaliser, jinking his way to the edge of the box before firing in a shot that hit Phil Jagielka and fell to Wood. It was no more than Leicester deserved for their attacking intent and, although Everton tried to respond, it was too late. Substitute Chris Wood earned Leicester a point on their return to the Barclays Premier League with an equaliser four minutes from time against Everton. Steven Naismith’s goal on the stroke of half-time looked to have won it after Aiden McGeady and debutant Leonardo Ulloa had netted within two minutes of each other mid-way through the first half. Leicester did all the pressing in the second half and were rewarded when Wood slotted a clinical finish beyond Howard to make it 2-2. Roberto Martinez’s Everton team featured no new faces, although Romelu Lukaku and Gareth Barry both made their first appearances since joining permanently. John Stones stepped in at right-back for Seamus Coleman, who was only fit enough for the bench, while new signings Muhamed Besic and Christian Atsu were both unused substitutes. Ross Barkley’s injury certainly cast a cloud over the start of Everton’s season, the England midfielder sustaining medial knee ligament damage in training. Nothing could dampen Leicester’s enthusiasm for their first Premier League season in 10 years, although they too were hit by injuries, with Marc Albrighton, Jamie Vardy and Matthew Upson all sidelined. The hosts more than held their own in an even start and Tim Howard had two nervy moments, first flapping at an Anthony Knockaert cross and then hesitating over a long ball and almost allowing Ulloa in. But it was Everton who opened the scoring in the 20th minute, exploiting a fortuitous deflection to the full. Leighton Baines’ long-distance shot did not look set to pose any problems until it was half blocked on the edge of the area and fell for Sylvain Distin 15 yards out. The defender’s shot was saved by Kasper Schmeichel, but the goalkeeper could only watch as McGeady’s delightful effort from the left curled over him and into the top corner. last_img read more

Travion Ford gets 16 years to life in stabbing

first_imgThe Los Angeles man found guilty of the second-degree murder of USC student Bryan Frost was sentenced to 16 years to life in prison Thursday.Travion Ford, 25, was convicted on Aug. 31 for fatally stabbing Frost, a 23-year-old cinema student, on Sept. 18 of last year.The sentence came after an hour and a half-long hearing, which gave Frost’s friends and family a chance to speak before Ford made a brief statement.“It was an emotional time for everyone,” said Deputy District Attorney Kennes Ma.In his statement, Ford maintained that he only stabbed Frost to protect himself.“He apologized to a certain degree, but what he continues to say is he’s not a murderer. He basically denies the jury’s decision,” Ma said.The Sept. 18 altercation that led to Frost’s death began after Frost slammed shut an apartment complex gate as he was walking home from the 901 Bar & Grill with friends in the early morning.Ford and Frost got into a verbal argument first, then began to throw punches and wrestle on the ground.At one point, Ma told the jury during the trial, Frost pinned Ford to the ground and then got up to walk away. Ford then ran inside his mother’s apartment to grab a knife, which he used to stab Frost.Ford’s attorney, Diane Butko, argued during the trial that Ford never went back into the apartment, and only stabbed Frost because he feared for his life.Butko filed an appeal in the case, saying the trial judge excluded important evidence about Frost’s history of drinking, but Ma said the appeal was denied Thursday, and Frost’s family said he did not have any sort of drinking problem.Ma said Judge George G. Lomeli did not have a lot of say in the sentencing and made no statement.“This is what we expected,” Ma said.The judge sentenced Ford to an extra year in prison for wielding a knife. In addition to the prison sentence, the judge ordered Ford to pay about $35,000 in restitution.last_img read more