Memorial Beach Challenge in Ocean City Draws Big Crowds

first_imgA water-filled sandpit serves as one of the obstacles in the beach race of the Memorial Beach Challenge in Ocean City, NJ on May 23, 2015.Thousands of spectators and competitors filled the beach and boardwalk Saturday morning in Ocean City for the third annual Memorial Beach Challenge.The event attracted a field of more than 500 for a beach obstacle course race between Fifth and 14th streets. More than 200 children participated in a kids’ run, and another handful of individuals and relays competed in a paddleboard race.In just its third year, the event promises to become a Memorial Day Weekend tradition in Ocean City.Henry Notaro, 53, of Northfield, wins the beach obstacle course race.Henry Notaro, a 53-year-old builder from Northfield, won the beach race, which includes a course over sand mounds and into water-filled pits and other hazards.“It was the toughest workout I ever did,” said Notaro, a three-hour marathoner.The hardest part?“Had to be those damned moguls … and running in the sand comes a close second,” Notaro said. “But I never had more fun in my life.”Brian Pasternak won the individual paddleboard event on a 12-foot prone board.Brian Pasternak, a 31-year-old member of the Ocean City Beach Patrol, won the individual paddleboard competition on a 12-foot prone board.Pasternak said he had an advantage paddling into the wind over Sven Peltonen, who finished second on a 14-foot stand-up paddleboard. Peltonen had won the individual event in its first two years.The race featured a triangular course with competitors competing loops that included legs in and out of the surf and obstacles on the beach.A crowd of competitors and spectators listens to the opening ceremonies of the Memorial Beach Challenge early on Saturday, May 23.The Memorial Beach Challenge benefits the Navy SEAL Foundation, the 31 Heroes Project (named for the SEALS killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan on August 6, 2011) and the Travis Manion Foundation. Manion was a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and a Marine from Doylestown, Pa., who was killed in action in Iraq on April 29, 2007.“It’s impressive to see the Ocean City community come out year after year,” said Maura Lukevics, chief financial officer for the 31 Heroes Project.A pair of competitors in the kids’ run crest a sand mound on the way to the finish line.Lukevics said the event raised $35,000 last year, and she expects that three-year fundraising total from the Memorial Beach Challenge to exceed $100,000.What started as a single CrossFit workout in 2011 has now become a nationwide series of competitions that benefit veterans’ families.“It gives athletes a way to give back,” Lukevics said.Mike Vaules, a former Ocean City Beach Patrol member and one of the organizers who helped bring the event to Ocean City in 2013, said the mission of the Beach Challenge is not lost even on his own young children, who participated in the kids’ run.“They understand the meaning of Memorial Day,” Vaules said.Check for complete results from the event (which had not been posted as of early Saturday afternoon): MemorialBeachChallenge.comShare your photos on social media. Use #mbc2015 as a hashtag.____Sign up for free e-mail news updates from OCNJ Daily.last_img read more

Chief Technology Officer Tom Evslin to retire from state government

first_imgGovernor Jim Douglas announced today that Chief Technology Officer Tom Evslin will retire from state government on September 15. Evslin, 67, was recruited from retirement by Governor Douglas in March of 2009 to be Chief Recovery Officer to oversee Vermont’s use of stimulus funds and applications for competitive stimulus grants. When the temporary Office of Economic Stimulus and Recovery finished its job, Evslin was named Chief Technology Officer for the State and has been the Administration’s lead on Challenges for Change.“I want to thank Tom for his work on behalf of Vermonters,” said Governor Douglas.  “Tom’s extraordinary talents were critical as we deployed hundreds of millions of dollars in federal stimulus money quickly and transparently.  His leadership and broad understanding of the telecommunications world were vital to Vermont’s success in obtaining over $250 million in combined stimulus grants for smart grid and broadband expansion – ensuring the funding is in place to follow through on my eState goals of border-to-border high-speed internet access and cell phone coverage.”Vermont has been recognized as among the best states in deploying federal stimulus and the $250 million in broadband and the smart grid grant awards places Vermont at the top in per-capita funding in these areas. “I’m very grateful for the opportunity I had to work for Vermont as part of the Douglas Administration during these difficult times,” said Evslin.  “I’m particularly proud of the tremendous creative effort that state employees at all levels made to respond to Challenges for Change and find ways to serve Vermonters more effectively with less money.”As the point person for Challenges for Change, Evslin has been coordinating the various efforts to save taxpayer money through increased government efficiency and outcome-based budgeting.  Governor Douglas noted that “Tom’s ability to think outside-the-box and envision creative solutions to any problem has made him the ideal fit as state government has had to adjust its approach during the Great Recession.”Secretary of Administration Neale Lunderville also praised Evslin for his service to Vermonters.  “Tom has been an integral part of the Governor’s team as we juggled the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Challenges for Challenges and the enduring impact of the economic downturn on state budgets and the lives of Vermonters.  Tom’s work has helped to position Vermont well to rebound from the recession.”Before his first retirement, Tom Evslin and his wife, Mary, founded several successful technology companies and he was one of the pioneers of VoIP technology. Evslin also wrote a novel and a popular blog and he is an inventor on eight granted US patents. In the early 1980s, he served as Vermont’s Secretary of Transportation under Governor Richard Snelling.  The Evslins live in Stowe. At his request, Evslin worked for minimum wage, which he then returns to the State.Source: Governor’s office. 8.31.2010###last_img read more

Los Caballeros Templarios Cartel Kills Mexican Navy Personnel

first_img The three detainees admitted they “belonged to a criminal organization known as ‘Los Caballeros Templarios’,” Mexican Prosecutor General Jesús Murillo Karam told the press in Mexico City. On July 29, the Prosecution accused the violent cartel of ambushing Vice Admiral Carlos Miguel Salazar Ramonet, one of the highest ranked military officers, killed in the fight against drug trafficking in Mexico, whose funeral included the presence of President Peña Nieto on that same afternoon. By Dialogo July 31, 2013 On July 28, armed men aboard two pick-up trucks ambushed and shot the Navy vehicle where Salazar Ramonet, who died immediately, was with his assistant, 2nd Petty Officer Ricardo Francisco Hernández Mercado. The driver and Salazar’s wife were also injured in the attack, both suffered serious injuries but are “out of danger,” the government reported. In recent days, confrontations between security forces and Los Caballeros Templarios have intensified in Michoacán, where President Enrique Peña Nieto started his first major security deployment in May. Three members of the violent Los Caballeros Templarios cartel were arrested by Mexican authorities for allegedly killing a Navy vice admiral and his assistant in the tumultuous state of Michoacán (west) on July 28, where a local chief of police was found dead a day later. Salazar Ramonet, commander of the 8th Naval Zone based in Puerto Vallarta (Jalisco, west), was returning to the facility after spending the weekend with his family, and he was not in uniform at the moment of the attack, Murillo Karam said. The attack occurred on a rural state road near Churintzio municipality, northeast of Michoacán, after Salazar’s vehicle was forced to change its initial route through a highway due to a blockade made by protesters. The assassination of the vice admiral adds to the killing of four federal police officers murdered last week in a bloody confrontation against Los Caballeros Templarios, of whom 20 hit men were killed, and to the killing of a police commander in the port municipality of Lázaro Cárdenas, whose corpse was found on July 29.last_img read more

Financial literacy in a post-COVID world

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Recently, I read Annamaria Lusardi’s article in Forbes about the importance of financial literacy in light of the COVID-19 economic recession.I’ve felt the devastating financial consequences of the pandemic in my own community: An eerily empty downtown. Jobs harder to come by. Dozens of restaurants closed for good.In the midst of this nationwide hardship, Lusardi (herself an economist and personal finance professor) and a team of co-authors set out to review the research and answer the question: Could building financial literacy really build financial resilience for American families? Or, more simply: does financial literacy work?Her team’s findings confirm what the team at Zogo already believed to be true: that financial education makes a difference — a great difference — in people’s lives. This post is currently collecting data…center_img This is placeholder text continue reading »last_img read more

Van Gaal turns deaf ear to fans

first_img United picked up just their third away Premier League victory of the season with a 2-0 result over struggling QPR as goals from substitutes Marouane Fellaini and James Wilson saw off a spirited display from the home side. But the visitors only clicked into gear after Van Gaal changed his formation, having opted to start with three central defenders – a system the Dutchman has stuck by for most of his first season in charge at Old Trafford. United were nowhere near their best in the first half, leading a pocket of supporters to call for a change to 4-4-2. And with the introduction of Wilson in place of Jonny Evans, Van Gaal seemingly listened with Fellaini’s opener coming just a minute later. However, after the game Van Gaal stuck by his guns and defended his original tactics, saying he will focus on what he sees in training rather than what he hears from the stands. “I have to look at the players and I have to communicate with the players and observe the players,” he said. “I cannot observe the fans because how many fans do Manchester United have? All over the world we’ve got 600 million. You cannot take into account 600 million opinions. “To look at the players, to communicate with the players, to observe, to analyse and so on. That’s my job as a manager. “Before this match I have already thought about this shape and to play it. Then I look to my players in a training session and I look to my game plan and then I choose, and that’s dependable also from what I see at the training ground.” Radamel Falcao was handed a place in the United side having been dropped from the matchday squad for the 1-0 defeat at home to Southampton last weekend. It proved to be a frustrating afternoon for the on-loan Monaco striker, who has been told to prove himself to Van Gaal, as he missed two great chances to add to his three goals for the club. Louis van Gaal insists he cannot listen to the opinions of every Manchester United fan after hearing a number of supporters vent their frustrations at his tactics in the win over QPR on Saturday. But Van Gaal defended the Colombian’s performance and was bullish when questioned about the striker and his display. “It’s not relevant,” he said. “We have 29 players so then we have to talk about 29 players, not one player, because Manchester United has a selection of 29 players and maybe tomorrow 28 or 30. Not just one player. “I’m a manager and you can’t always give the credit to the most expensive player and if a young player never gets a chance then I’m not a very good manager. “I have to treat all of the players at the same level with the same rules and same demands. It’s difficult to understand because the outside world is thinking when you pay a lot for the player then you have to put him in the squad. I do not agree with that opinion. But he (Falcao) has played and I was very pleased.” Falcao’s immediate future at Old Trafford was cast into doubt as he sat in the stands for the Southampton game, with the player’s agent also questioning whether he would see out his season-long loan deal. The 28-year-old would cost United over £40million if they decided to make the move from Monaco permanent in the summer, but with just three goals and a number of niggling injuries it remains to be seen if the club would part with such an amount. The player himself admits he needs to start scoring soon but insists he is pleased with his all-round game and is feeling good out on the pitch. “I am very happy with the win. It was a very difficult game but we managed the match well and got the three points,” he said. “We were very close to scoring more and I could have had two goals. Sadly, the goalkeeper did very well and the other chances were not that clear. “It was 90 very important minutes for me. I need to play and I am very happy that I did. Obviously, I really hope to score soon but the opportunities will come, I am sure of that. “I am fine. I feel really good. I am playing without any sort of fitness problems.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Inbound Spanish Coalition appoints Alberto Garzon as gambling supervisor

first_img Despite failing to secure a parliamentary majority, the agreed ‘socialist coalition’ of PSOE and Podemos (minority partner) have confirmed that Alberto Garzon Espinosa will be appointed as Minister of Consumer Affairs to oversee Spain’s gambling regulatory development.On Sunday, Spain’s parliamentary vote saw PSOE leader Pedro Sanchez fail once more in his attempt to secure a governing majority despite Catalan independence party Esquerra obliging its MPs to abstain from voting.An embarrassed Sanchez failed to secure the required 176 votes (165 in favour) approving PSOE-Podemos coalition pact, as a number of provincial party MPs voted against PSOE’s governing mandate.Spanish Parliament will vote once again this week, as Sanchez and Podemos leader Pablo Iglesias try to convince provincial party MPs that the socialist coalition will govern with a ‘progressive agenda in mind’.Alberto Garzon is the current deputy of Podemos and further serves as the leader of Spanish left-wing coalition Izquierda Unida (United Left).Spanish news sources report that as the intended Minister of Consumer Affairs, Garzon’s department will be issued with new responsibilities overseeing the regulatory development of Spanish gambling – a mandate formerly overseen by Spain’s Finance Ministry.“Alberto Garzon will assume a portfolio that brings together the rights of consumers, ecological and responsible engagements, gambling and betting houses,” PSOE informed national media.In its update, PSOE and Podemos underline that gambling needs to be overseen by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, as gambling addiction requires close scrutiny by Spain’s national health services and stakeholders.Agreeing on coalition terms, PSOE and Podemos leadership have stated that they will deliver concrete reforms to Spanish Gambling, approving reforms on Spanish advertising and further federal controls on land-based gambling venues. Share Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 Andrea Vota – Jdigital’s challenge of Spanish restrictions is led by logic and rationale August 13, 2020 Related Articles Share Submit StumbleUpon Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020last_img read more

FIFA disciplinary official banned for dishonesty

first_imgA former member of FIFA’s disciplinary panel has been banned from football duty for three years for dishonesty in a mandatory vetting process.FIFA says Edmond Bowen, former president of the New Caledonia Football Association, “did not fill out the mandatory declaration of integrity truthfully.”FIFA says the three-year ban took effect Monday.Bowen was elected to serve on the disciplinary committee on a slate of candidates presented at the 2013 FIFA Congress held in Mauritius.FIFA did not specify details of which incidents Bowen failed to declare honestly.Media in the Pacific Ocean islands have reported that Bowen received a one-year prison sentence in 2010 and was involved in bankruptcy proceedings.Bowen was allowed to stand for election in 2011 to lead the football body. Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article3685999.html?#storylink=cpyRead more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article3685999.html?#storylink=cpylast_img read more